Cache adoption

Over21uk

If your considering putting your caches up for adoption, please consider using my new website.

www.adoptacache.guilduk.com

You can also "watch an area(s)" for when caches become available for adoption in that area.

I'm hoping to make the website the home for adoption requests in the U.K.

Thanks, Alex.

If your considering putting your caches up for adoption, please consider using my new website.

www.adoptacache.guilduk.com

You can also "watch an area(s)" for when caches become available for adoption in that area.

I'm hoping to make the website the home for adoption requests in the U.K.

Thanks, Alex.

Brilliant idea, but needs a far better website design.

Also a better address such as adoptacache.com? or .co.uk?

I'm sure if someone wanted to give Over21UK the money towards a "proper" domain name - or even register it on his behalf - he'd consider it a friendly gesture of support for this useful resource he's offering to the geocaching community. In the meantime as far as I can tell he isn't trying to be professional, just helpful (and maybe learn a bit more about web design at the same time).

Alex - thank you for your efforts to provide a useful resource to the UK GC community. Rest assured that even if it were perfect in every way, some on the forums would still nit-pick, but most people will appreciate what you're doing.

I'm sure if someone wanted to give Over21UK the money towards a "proper" domain name - or even register it on his behalf - he'd consider it a friendly gesture of support for this useful resource he's offering to the geocaching community. In the meantime as far as I can tell he isn't trying to be professional, just helpful (and maybe learn a bit more about web design at the same time).

Alex - thank you for your efforts to provide a useful resource to the UK GC community. Rest assured that even if it were perfect in every way, some on the forums would still nit-pick, but most people will appreciate what you're doing.

I am giving constructive feedback. This is to help the guy.

A .com domain will only cost you 99p for your first year and then its less than £10 a year after that.

{Content removed by mod}

Edited by castagnari

A .com domain will only cost you 99p for your first year and then its less than £10 a year after that.

{Content removed by mod}/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]

I think what Paul was trying to say in a subtle, encouraging way was ...

Ignore that obnoxious pedantic know it all who nobody probably listens to anyway. No matter what you do to help, some will construe it as an opertunity to have, deliver, and then push, their unhelpful unwanted quite frankly rude opinion. Usually these people are so far inserted into some dark orifice they miss the point entirely and go off on some random egotistical tangent and nothing will prevent them from having their say, however misguided it may be.

It's a great idea and like anything and everything will evolve over time.

Edited by castagnari

{Content removed by mod}. dry.gif

I think what Paul was trying to say in a subtle, encouraging way was ...

Ignore that obnoxious pedantic know it all who nobody probably listens to anyway. No matter what you do to help, some will construe it as an opertunity to have, deliver, and then push, their unhelpful unwanted quite frankly rude opinion. Usually these people are so far inserted into some dark orifice they miss the point entirely and go off on some random egotistical tangent and nothing will prevent them from having their say, however misguided it may be.

It's a great idea and like anything and everything will evolve over time.

I think Seaglass has effectively summed up the intention behind my post!

Ah, my apologies - one of us has got confused over the difference between "constructive" and "downright rude". I don't THINK it's me that's confused but all things are possible, and like everyone else in the world, I'm not perfect.

Edited by castagnari

Thanks for the comments guys. Thing is, I could spend thousand of pounds have it written professionally but would that change the fact its a simple site for adopting caches. I'm already paying for the hosting of it but that cost isn't solely for this website. I'm a great believer in the saying " if its not broke, don't fix it" and as long as it does the job I'm happy. Now on the other hand, if it was a business where I intended to make lots of money out of it then I'd certainly consider spending money on it.

Alex, I've just had another quick look at the site and it looks fine to me - yes of course it could have loads more jazzy bells and whistles, but it does what it's supposed to do and looks clean, simple and functional.

I would say if you have any more resource that you're willing to expend on the site, it should go into publicising it, as now you've got it to this point it'll stand or fall according to how well it's used, not how pretty it is or how "professional" the web address appears to be.

Thank you again for a useful addition to the UK Caching resources.

Some features I think would be useful:

When we click on a county (e.g. Berkshire), that then presents all the caches up for adoption in that county as a single list, with Owner, GCcode, name & type; each one clickable to go through to the details for that adoption. This would allow us to see them all in one place so we could see if there's a series, or single owner offering a bunch up for adoption.

I think it would also be useful if this page could display all those caches as pins on a single map, so we could get an idea of their distribution if we're thinking of adopting more than 1.

Keep up the good work!