logs being displayed twice

Bing-GTX

Several times in the last several weeks when viewing the cache logs I have noticed that several of the oldest log entries are displayed twice in the listing. This seems to be an intermittent occurrence, I noticed the most recent occurrence yesterday (17 Aug 2013) on the cache GC3Z581. This phenomena, while I have noticed it several times does not seem to be reproducible on demand. When I refreshed the page the duplicate entries disappeared. I have noticed that it is not the most recent logs that are displayed twice. When I have noticed this it is always the oldest logs and the published log is always among those that are displayed twice. That is the reason that I first noticed it, I had scrolled to the end of the log listing and saw that there were two published logs, one being the final entry in the list and the other being three or four logs before the final. The logs between these two were exact duplicates of the ones that preceded the first copy of the published log. When I have noticed this it is not always the same number of logs that are duplicated, I have seen as few as two and as many as eight.

Since these logs are just being displayed twice it would appear that there is a problem or glitch in the server that is serving up the logs. It appears that the server somehow loses track of what has been displayed or believes that some logs were not displayed when in fact they were.

I do not believe that this is the same as the problem that has been reported with duplicate entry of logs from iOS devices.

Just in case it matters I noticed this when using Firefox v23.0.1, as well as the previous version 22.0.1.

Several times in the last several weeks when viewing the cache logs I have noticed that several of the oldest log entries are displayed twice in the listing. This seems to be an intermittent occurrence, I noticed the most recent occurrence yesterday (17 Aug 2013) on the cache GC3Z581. This phenomena, while I have noticed it several times does not seem to be reproducible on demand. When I refreshed the page the duplicate entries disappeared. I have noticed that it is not the most recent logs that are displayed twice. When I have noticed this it is always the oldest logs and the published log is always among those that are displayed twice. That is the reason that I first noticed it, I had scrolled to the end of the log listing and saw that there were two published logs, one being the final entry in the list and the other being three or four logs before the final. The logs between these two were exact duplicates of the ones that preceded the first copy of the published log. When I have noticed this it is not always the same number of logs that are duplicated, I have seen as few as two and as many as eight.

Since these logs are just being displayed twice it would appear that there is a problem or glitch in the server that is serving up the logs. It appears that the server somehow loses track of what has been displayed or believes that some logs were not displayed when in fact they were.

I do not believe that this is the same as the problem that has been reported with duplicate entry of logs from iOS devices.

Just in case it matters I noticed this when using Firefox v23.0.1, as well as the previous version 22.0.1.

Are you using GC Little Helper? I've been seeing the same thing with the last few versions.

I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but this week I noticed a triple on one cache I maintain. I contacted the cacher and they said it was a phone log. They were going to correct it. Then I had reason to look at some of my logs that were recent and found a double on one of mine, and I use a computer. Still have to go and look thoroughly at my logs and recent caches however. One thing I did note while checking the other cachers logs is that they were all at slightly different times and are probably related to the phone since that happens. As for mine, well, I had looked at the logs on the same caches previously and there was just one on those occasions. The second one popped up between the 2nd and 3rd visits to the CPage. BTW I'm using Chrome under Vista Home on a laptop. Since the time was different, I deleted the newer one and the original stayed in place.

The other person was one their phone I believe and did see the multiple on that each time.

Doug 7rxc

Are you using GC Little Helper? I've been seeing the same thing with the last few versions.

Yes, I am using GC Little Helper. I noticed some double display of logs on a page that I was looking at today. When I disabled GC Little Helper and refreshed the page they went away, that of course is not proof that it is being caused by that add on, since I was able to make them go away without disabling the helper the other day. I will keep an eye on it and perhaps report a problem to the developer of that tool if I can get definitive proof that it is the culprit.

I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but this week I noticed a triple on one cache I maintain. I contacted the cacher and they said it was a phone log. They were going to correct it. Then I had reason to look at some of my logs that were recent and found a double on one of mine, and I use a computer. Still have to go and look thoroughly at my logs and recent caches however. One thing I did note while checking the other cachers logs is that they were all at slightly different times and are probably related to the phone since that happens. As for mine, well, I had looked at the logs on the same caches previously and there was just one on those occasions. The second one popped up between the 2nd and 3rd visits to the CPage. BTW I'm using Chrome under Vista Home on a laptop. Since the time was different, I deleted the newer one and the original stayed in place.

Although I originally said that I did not believe it was the same the problem reported with the iOS double logs, I am now quite certain that it is not the same problem and has nothing to do with that problem. As I said in my post I was able to make the duplicates disappear just by refreshing the page. What I am seeing are shadow or phantom entries if you will, the duplicates are not duplicate entries they are duplicate displays of the same entry. Which is entirely different from the iOS phenomenon.

I just went through my logged finds for the month of Aug. And found two that had been posted twice. Both had a slight different log report so I think what happened was my phone was not able to connect because of the area I live in having a lot of spots where there is no reception and I logged a find twice. My question is, I thought it was not possible to log a find twice. When I deleted the extra log I also lost a find. I don't want to have an extra find for a cache I found, one is enough. Is this some thing that has changed. Thanks. Woolspin

My question is, I thought it was not possible to log a find twice. When I deleted the extra log I also lost a find. I don't want to have an extra find for a cache I found, one is enough. Is this some thing that has changed.

Nothing has changed at Groundspeak/geocaching.com as far as I know there has never been any thing other than a gentleman's agreement to prevent you from logging a cache multiple times. In fact there are several caches that I have come across where the owner makes a statement in the description that says if you do a certain action, usually a favor to the owner, feel free to log an extra find on the cache. I have never done that because like you I have always felt that one find per cache is sufficient. But there is a statistic generated by gc.com that tells you how many finds you have and how many unique caches you have found. If you are only logging once then they should be the same. What that tells me is that the software is written to allow multiple logs per cache. There is one type of mystery cache called a roving cache (see: GCCF79) because the finder moves the cache and posts the new coordinates in the log, since this is a new find each time it is legitimate to log each find. Disclaimer, this type of cache may be discouraged or even prohibited from being created, I think that I remember reading something about that but I could not find it when I went looking for it just now.

I went back and played around with turning GC Little Helper on and off and am now certain that it is the culprit in this double displaying of log entries that I have been seeing. This is not a ground speak problem at all. This thread can be closed.

Actually, it is a Groundspeak issue since they keep jacking around with site updates that provide no real user benefit, but do manage to break other useful add-ons like GCLittle helper.

I would like to think it is just collateral damage, but at times it seems deliberate.

Actually, it is a Groundspeak issue since they keep jacking around with site updates that provide no real user benefit, but do manage to break other useful add-ons like GCLittle helper.

I would like to think it is just collateral damage, but at times it seems deliberate.

Well, I am in no position to say whether or not it is deliberate, but I think one of the quotes in your signature is apropos, I am sure you know which one.