Garmin 60CSx - Turns on. Stuck on one screen. Won't turn off.

Re: Garmin 60CSx

(I'm troubleshooting a problem for a fellow cacher and could use some advice)

Description of problem:

The unit will turn on and goes to the satellite screen where it looks normal and acquires satellites as normal.

At that point, no button works. You can't page to another page. You can't bring up the menu. You can do nothing but see the satellite screen. The power button will not turn off the unit. (The only way I have found to power down is by removing the batteries).

Additionally, the unit would beep in constant repetition. Pressing any button would pause the beep, but the beeping would continue after releasing the button. After working with it for an hour or so, it is no longer beeping but all other symptoms remain.

Here's what I have tried (with no change in behavior except for the beeping):

• Backed up the data. (So I'm not worried about losing data)
  • Ensured that the metal SD Card clip was locked into place.
  • Replaced the SD card with another card from a working Garmin 60CSx
  • Removed the SD card
  • Replaced the batteries (I have tried Duracell Alkaline and Energizer Alkaline)
  • Upgraded the firmware using WebUpdater on Windows 7 - USB.
  • I have tried a factory reset by holding Page/Enter/PowerButton. I do not get the prompt for confirmation and it does not appear to have made a change. Although, this appears to have stopped the beeping.
  • I have tried a factory reset by holding 'Quit', 'Enter', 'Out' and 'Power' button. It does not appear to have made a change.

On the outside, the unit is in excellent condition and has not been abused. The symptoms began on a rainy multi-day hike.

I have not yet called Garmin support.

Any ideas?