Which is more preferable for a series?

alanandchrista

So, we have planted a geocache (our first) in a nice secluded location; however, because it is so far out of the way only one person has come to find it! Even though they were happy with it and gave it a favorite point, nobody else has wanted to drive all that way for one single geocache. Our solution? Place a lot more out this way...i know i would be more willing to go out of my way for say 5 caches rather than one. So, I have at least 3 ready to place but also have ideas for a couple more. My question is: would it be better to publish all the caches for a series at one time and introduce 5 all together, or go ahead and place a couple now and keep adding to the series? Thanks for your input. Also, if there are any reviewers reading, let me know which you would rather see as well.

Thanks everybody, happy caching :)

Some of the best caches get the least amount of hits because of effort involved in finding them. You can place roadside/parking-lot micros and you'll get a lot of hits because they are quick and easy to find. But place caches that you would enjoy finding.

If you have a remote cache, then yes, more caches along the way to that cache will definitely result in more hits. If you are interested in helping more people get FTFs on your caches, then release them at different times. If you release them all at once then likely the same person will get FTF on all of them (which is ok, but some don't like seeing this.)

I wouldn't worry about the FTF issue. But I'd release them one at a time, as I had each cache ready. That way, I could focus on each cache individually. The chance of confusing the details of different caches is eliminated, and neither cache is shortchanged by my divided attention.

niraD makes good points, but basically it's entirely up to you. In this specific case, it sounds like you should plant the ones you have ready without waiting for the other ideas to jell. When new caches appear that entice me to an out-of-the-way area, it's true that I prefer not to see more new ones appear a couple days later after I've trekked out there, but it's not really important relative to other considerations. And if it's a particularly nice spot, I might be pleased to be "forced" to go out there a second time to pick up the stragglers.

The one thing I would request is that you not dribble them out one at a time in an effort to thwart FTF hounds. Or if you do, at least mention that that's your plan in the early ones so everyone else can wait for the series to be completed.

One other thing, a little off topic: if you really want to make this a series, one thing that gets me interested in an area, particularly when I'm traveling, is a series with a bonus cache. That question mark will get me looking at an area quicker than anything else.

So, we have planted a geocache (our first) in a nice secluded location; however, because it is so far out of the way only one person has come to find it! Even though they were happy with it and gave it a favorite point, nobody else has wanted to drive all that way for one single geocache. Our solution? Place a lot more out this way...i know i would be more willing to go out of my way for say 5 caches rather than one. So, I have at least 3 ready to place but also have ideas for a couple more. My question is: would it be better to publish all the caches for a series at one time and introduce 5 all together, or go ahead and place a couple now and keep adding to the series? Thanks for your input. Also, if there are any reviewers reading, let me know which you would rather see as well.

Thanks everybody, happy caching :)

Nothing like a secluded area for quiet, muggle free caching. If you're going to have a couple ready soon I'd wait and do all 5 at once. If more ideas develop you could add to these or place caches along the way.

Sounds like fun....good luck.