My avatar on someone else's post?

Mudfrog

This may have already been mentioned but i didn't find anything on it. When i read over posts in a thread, i sometimes come to one where my avatar is showing. The strange thing is that it shows under another cacher's name.

e567eea5-a0e5-408d-b05a-462651316436.jpg

Anyone else ever run across this?

I've seen this sort of thing only with Internet Explorer. Has anyone seen it with other browsers? If I'm not mistaken, I think it's incorrectly reading stored information from your own computer, not pulling it directly off of the internet. Try doing Control+F5.

I use IE on various PCs, and have never seen the effect, only read threads about it and guessed. And I've wanted to see it happen :anicute:, to have my cute wittle dragon face all over the forum :P. But it was not to be.

i sometimes come to one where my avatar is showing. The strange thing is that it shows under another cacher's name.

If you see this again, a little info may help. Post the exact day & time (and time zone) and the browser you're using. And right-click your avatar and the clone avatars in the thread, and copy/paste those image URLs, as many as you can before getting bored with it. [EDIT: Saving the HTML from the whole on-screen web page would save time. Then people can analyze it.]

For example, your avatar's image URL is currently:

"http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/f810d955-77bc-48ec-8669-117fdb080bcb.jpg"

It would be interesting to know what the clones' URLs are. If they're all the same URL, then the suspect is the web browser, in which case, you'll see image shuffling on every web site, not just the Forum. :ph34r:

I'm guessing it's a server glitch. But since it's just a little glitch that will clear up (or change :rolleyes:) by reloading the page, it's not a big deal. But it's weird. :anibad:

Is there anything you do that seems to "cause" the clones? Or does it happen at a certain time of day, or certain day of the week?

Edited by kunarion
i sometimes come to one where my avatar is showing. The strange thing is that it shows under another cacher's name.

If you see this again, a little info may help. Post the exact day & time (and time zone) and the browser you're using. And right-click your avatar and the clone avatars in the thread, and copy/paste those image URLs, as many as you can before getting bored with it. [EDIT: Saving the HTML from the whole on-screen web page would save time. Then people can analyze it.]

For example, your avatar's image URL is currently:

"http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/f810d955-77bc-48ec-8669-117fdb080bcb.jpg"

It would be interesting to know what the clones' URLs are. If they're all the same URL, then the suspect is the web browser, in which case, you'll see image shuffling on every web site, not just the Forum. :ph34r:

I'm guessing it's a server glitch. But since it's just a little glitch that will clear up (or change :rolleyes:) by reloading the page, it's not a big deal. But it's weird. :anibad:

Is there anything you do that seems to "cause" the clones? Or does it happen at a certain time of day, or certain day of the week?

I've only noticed this happening maybe 3 or 4 times. Since i'm on the forums almost daily, it's definitely a rarity. Can't think of anything i might be doing to cause it but i will try to get more details if it happens again. It doesn't bother me any, was just kinda curious and wondering if anyone else experienced it.

Btw, an old timer here who sometimes uses AOL. Most of the time it's IE9 by itself.