no more live app dev.?

I have been working on an Android app for planning efficient tours between multiple caches, which is currently using just demo data from my own server. Now that I've almost finished development and the algorithms are running fine, I was going to hook it up to real data, by enrolling with the Live API program.

Now suddenly the Live API website states that enrollment is no longer possible. I wrote an e-mail to Groundspeak, asking when enrollment will be possible again. The answer was just: it's not going to be possible any time soon.

Does this mean that

A) development of new Live-enabled apps simply won't be possible (so that people will have to choose from the apps that exist so far, or buy Groundspeak's app), or

B) apps like c:geo that scrape the website are now the kind of software that Groundspeak wants to encourage?

I agree their biggest issue might be server load. But isn't an API the best solution to handle that? How many scripts are out there imitating web browsers to scrape or spider the website? Groundspeak has much more control restricting requests with the API. If the API wasn't such a hassle, more developers would be using it.

Actually, I believe it's neither the cost for server infrastructure (I suppose that would be easily paid from the premium treasury) nor Groundspeak trying to sell their own app by any means. Much more, it comes clear that Groundspeak cannot keep up with technology evolving, or at least they're not focusing on doing so.

This is really annoying as none of the application out there (at least for iPhone and WP8) handles multi-caches correctly, not even the official ones.

I'm a software developer and would have liked to implement my own, but without the possibility to call the API it's almost impossible to do that.

Simone

This is really annoying as none of the application out there (at least for iPhone and WP8) handles multi-caches correctly, not even the official ones.

I'm a software developer and would have liked to implement my own, but without the possibility to call the API it's almost impossible to do that.

Simone

I don't understand your doesn't handle multis correctly. I have done them on my ipad using the app and on the Android for my phone. You just put in the next waypoint and go off.

What exactly is done incorrecxt?