Geocache Maps Loaded to Garmin Unit

Calbux

I am really frustrated with getting to a comfort level with our geocaching efforts. Basically, I would like to see the kind of maps on the geocache.com site on my Garmin - - maybe that's asking too much. That kind of thing can happen on my I-Phone, but reception in the places one typically caches tends to be spotty at best, and slow to load, and imprecise. But when I try to use the Garmin Dakota 20, while I have Catopo loaded on my unit, and can send the caches to the unit from my computer, I find the trails are poorly marked, leaving us with a lot of guesswork about what caches are on what trail.

Is there some technique for tranferring the maps on the geocache site to the Garmin? I tried using Google Earth as a bridge, but couldn't figure out how to square up the overlay from the site to the GE map. Am I missing some steps, or is getting the cache.com view on the Garmin simply impossible, practically.

Thanks

John and Pat

Ok... I understand what you want. I really think I do.

Problem is... those are not geocaching.com maps. They are copyrighted Google Maps. You can use them on your iphone because you are using the website (having direct access). Geocaching.com or more likely, Groundspeak, Inc. pays for their use. If you were to copy them to your personal device, then you should pay the licensee fees, should you not?

Perhaps you can copy and load those maps to your GPSr, I dunno if that is possible or not. If you can though, then it'll probably cost.

You are trying to enter the realm of copyright protective issues, here. In essence, you are trying to circumvent a copyright with what you are attempting to do (transferring Google maps to your unit).

I had to Google search Catopo (CATOPO), which appears to be something different than CA topo. Yes, I found that CA topo is a free topo map of California. Dunno what to say, other than it is free. That speaks volumes, in and of itself.

If you want detail, you are probably gonna have to look beyond free.

Now the topo maps on our unit, I feel are much better than Google maps. Our unit is sold/distributed by a map making company. They came with the GPSr, but the licensee fees were more than likely a part of that unit price. I could get a newer (map) version, but it certainly wouldn't be free.

No, I don't think you are intentionally doing something wrong. I think that you simply may not have been aware of the copyright issues involved, and perhaps thought that those maps used by geocaching.com are free. They aren't. That is why Premium Members get to use them, Non-Premium Members do not. There was a fairly big deal a short while ago (1-2 yrs ago) when geocaching.com lost use of Google Maps. Apparently new terms were agreed upon and now PM have them again -- so you see, it is still a pay-for-use situation.

I appreciate the concern, but I don't think I'm doing anything improper (as opposed to erroneously). And, I'm not sure there was an answer to the question of getting something akin to the maps you see on the Geocache site onto the GPS itself.

First, I am a premium member, so whatever extra use of the geocache maps one gets with that should not be a problem for me, or anyone else; second, I can't see how using the geocache map on my GPS is different than using it on my phone. I don't need to look at the

Geocache map on my phone. Also, I am not doing anything commercial out of it, trying to look at the Geocache map on my GPS is simply for my own personal use. (I admit, personal use may not matter here, since, for example, I have to buy Microsoft's software if I want to use it, though maybe not some other freeware.) Also, I'd pay to be able to simply move the geocache map (or what ever it is on the site) to my Dakota.

You said you get topo maps on your unit, but you didn't say what they were or what your unit is. By the way, "CATOPO" simply is freeware found via GPS File Depot "http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/ca", which has lots of free downloadable maps.

Like I said, I'd even pay for the ability to get a version of what you see on Geocache.com on the unit, but I don't seem to be doing something right in loading maps on my Dakota. Also, since most of the trails we hike on around the Bay Area are not national park trails, I need to make sure what maps I load have trails on local parks - - at least the major ones, not every neighborhood open pace - - included. Does Garmin, for example, show local (East Bay RPD) open space trails on its topo for California? Is there some way to take this map - - which has trails exhibited on it (http://www.ebparks.org/Assets/_Nav_Categories/Parks/Maps/Briones+map.pdf), and load it onto the CATOPO map?

John and Pat

Garmin has a product called Birdseye which allows you to transfer actual satellite maps to certain Garmin units. It is about $30 a year though but it is quite handy. If you decide to buy it, make certain that it works for your GPS. Download basecamp if you haven't already. Connect your unit to your computer. They used to let you download a really small amount of data to make sure you can get it working before you buy it. Hope this helps.