eXplorist 710 or Rino 655t... Or?

I am deciding on a new GPSr to purchase. So far, I am down to between the Magellan eXplorist 710 or the Garmin 655t. I know that there is a considerable price difference between the two, which I don't mind at all because I would be able to make good use of the radio features on the Rino (though, I don't absolutely NEED it or have a huge WANT for it). Pricing really isn't too much of an issue right now.

Can it be said that one or the other is a "higher end" GPSr than the other? And if so, which do you think is? Which do you find/think to be more accurate? If there is anything else out there that is "higher end" than these two, please let me know.

Anyone's thoughts or complaints about either one?

You have picked a couple of great GPS units. What criteria did you use to arrive at these two units? They are both at the top of their respective lines. If you need the radio, weather info then the Rino 655t is a good bet. If you do not need a radio, then there are some additional GPS units that compete very well with the Magellan 710. The Garmin GPSMAP 62s/st/stc and the new Garmin 600 series are great units in the price range you have established. Also, Delorme has the PN60 and PN60w which are also very good units. Providing us with your criteria will help others give you advice that matches what you are looking for. Peoria Bill :<)

What criteria did you use to arrive at these two units?

The criteria that brought me to consider both of these units is pretty simple, actually lol. I own and actively use a Magellan eXplorist GC as well as two Garmin Rino 110s. I believe that my Rinos are a bit older (by a more than a few years most likely), and so I really like the modern look and feel of the eXplorist GC with the color screen and all that. I know that the Rino 655t is oviously updated and has the color and touch screen. If it was still the same black and white screen, it would not even be a consideration for me.

Another piece of criteria I think that I could add in here, is that I am wanting to upgrade as my primary usage in a GPSr is changing. I have only used my GC and iPhone for geocaching, and I am wanting a unit that I can expand the usage beyond looking for caches. Obviously, I do like caching and will continue to do it, but I am getting more and more into hiking trails, land navigation, and starting to get into a bit of mountaineering and such. My goal is to find a unit that is "high end", or maybe even top of the line, that I can use for geocaching (even if I can't really do paperless) but will also be a great device to use with the other stuff. I kind of figured that since the 710 and 655t were the top of the line in their own series, that might be what I am looking for. I did not know if there was like a "professional" grade GPSr out there (if there is, could you let me know what to search for?).

If you need the radio, weather info then the Rino 655t is a good bet.

I really do like the radio feature on the Rinos. The two Rinos that I have now, I basically let the youngins run and play with talking on the radio, and I even use it when we are out camping and I take off walking by myself. Lol the lady likes to get on the radio and talk with me as well while she is back at the camp. I kind of liked the thought of having my own GPSr that was mine that would stay with me and the boys could talk to me via theirs. I know that I am most likely going to have a few buddies join me on some hikes and mountain stuff, and though we won't be too spaced out from one another, I figured they would end up getting the same model as me and we could communicate that way. The weather feature was also a pretty good selling point for me as well, as I do plan on doing multiple day hikes and climbs and would like to have access to knowing if any adverse weather is on the way in. I guess a down side to that is that I believe the 655t has a rechargable battery and if I am out for a few days at a time, I can't get the weather if the battery is dead lol.

If you do not need a radio, then there are some additional GPS units that compete very well with the Magellan 710.

Honestly, I do not need the radio or the weather on the GPSr. Those were just features that I really liked. Other than the models that you recommended later in your message, what others do you believe could "compete" with the 710? How do they compete, or what do they offer that the 710 doesn't? (of course, in your opinion)

The Garmin GPSMAP 62s/st/stc and the new Garmin 600 series are great units in the price range you have established.

I began looking at the GPSMAP 62 (I don't recall if it was the S, ST, or STC; or even if it was the GPSMAP 60). One thing that I noticed on there was that when it talked about geocaching, it was referencing another caching site instead of this one. Open Caching I believe it was. That kind of turned me off a bit because I like this site, and these caches. Since it is geared toward that site, would I be able to use it for the paperless geocaching and have the same result that I do when I use a Magellan GPSr here?

Providing us with your criteria will help others give you advice that matches what you are looking for.

Other than the compatibility that I have with my GC and using this site for caching, one thing that I love using my GC for is that I pull the tracks off the GPSr and put them into Google Earth. Right now, I am more familiar with the inner workings of that kind of stuff with the Magellan than I am with anything from Garmin (I still haven't pulled any info of the Rinos; they are older units so I didn't know if they would have the same kind of data or even if it was usable for what I like doing when I get home).

One thing that I think sucks about my GC is that when I "Stop and Save Track", it saves it on the device, but I can only save one track. For example, if I want to do two or three trails in one day and record the track for each one. My GC only lets me save one track at a time. If I try to save a second track, it will overwrite the first one. Basically, when I am done with the first track I have to save it, then hook up to my computer and save it there, and then start a new track. There is no option to save "Track 2" and "Track 3" without deleting the first one. I really would like a GPSr that will allow me to save multple track data without it overwriting one. I don't know if there are any units out there that allow that or not.

Anyway, pulling the track data off the unit and using it in Google Earth is a big deal for me. To me, the 655t just "looks" more high speed, high end, or professional and the eXplorist line kind of makes me think it looks like it is for something just like day hiking or something like that. I didn't know if they were both basically on the same level and both could be used equally well for the usage that I am wanting to use them for. And, for that matter, what other products out there would match all that stuff.

Lol sorry for the long reply. I hope that this info can help you (or anyone else still awake and reading it) give some better guidance. Thanks!

I began looking at the GPSMAP 62 (I don't recall if it was the S, ST, or STC; or even if it was the GPSMAP 60). One thing that I noticed on there was that when it talked about geocaching, it was referencing another caching site instead of this one. Open Caching I believe it was. That kind of turned me off a bit because I like this site, and these caches. Since it is geared toward that site, would I be able to use it for the paperless geocaching and have the same result that I do when I use a Magellan GPSr here?

What you mention (underlined) is Garmin's "geocaching" website. Of course they are going to draw attention to it, they own it.

Apparently, they thought they could do better than Groundspeak with geocaching.com. Well, in the view of most -- they failed, miserably.

All Garmin units are fully compatible with geocaching.com. Should they cease to be compatible with this site, Garmin will suffer in dramatic fashion (financially), and they know that, as few will purchase their units.

If you happen to take notice, neither Delorme or Magellan mention "the other" geocaching website. Hmmmm, I wonder why......

Yes, Garmin owns that other site and their continual mention of it is simply a marketing ploy to get more to use it. That's all.

If you owned a "geocaching" website, would you talk of geocaching.com? I think not.

The Rino 655t can run off of 4 AA batteries using a different battery pack. It's running about $20 on Amazon right now. The most direct competition with the Magellan eXplorist 710 would be the Garmin Oregon series. The Oregon 600/650 was just released, and the older 450/550 are fairly cheap right now.

Yes, Garmin owns that other site and their continual mention of it is simply a marketing ploy to get more to use it. That's all.

Ah! I had no idea abou them owning that other site. I they just had some sort of legal rights purchased by that other site. Lol sort of how like Pizza Hut doesn't sell Coca-Cola, but has to sell Pepsi lol. Cool deal. That was some good stuff to know.

The Rino 655t can run off of 4 AA batteries using a different battery pack. It's running about $20 on Amazon right now. The most direct competition with the Magellan eXplorist 710 would be the Garmin Oregon series. The Oregon 600/650 was just released, and the older 450/550 are fairly cheap right now.

Thanks for that info about the battery pack. That could be pretty useful.

You said that the most direct competetion with the eXplorist 710 would be the Garmin Oregon series. Is that saying that the Rino 655t doesn't really compete with either of those? What is your opinion about the competition between the eXplorist and the Oregon series, especially the newer ones that were just released?

The Oregons have the same size touchscreen (3") as the eXplorist 710, so that is the reason I would consider them to be in direct competition with each other. The Rino 655t has a smaller touch screen (2.6" I think) which is the same screen size as the Dakota series. The Dakotas are kind of like the Oregon's little brother. If you're looking for a radio + GPS device, then the Rino is the way to go. It's like a Dakota that also has a radio in it.

The older Oregon 450/550 models were announced in May 2009, while the eXplorist 510/610/710 were announced in July 2010 (both dates grabbed from engadget.com articles). The Oregon 600/650 was announced in January 2013, but wasn't available for purchase until a couple months ago. In my opinion, the new Oregon 600/650 is a leap forward in technology from the older Oregons (it had better be, as it's just shy of 3 years newer than the older ones). Don't take my word as the gospel, though. Look around each company's website and read their product pages, then maybe take a look at some reviews on amazon.com or another retailer. The product pages will each call out the most marketable features of a device, and there should be a spot where you can see all the nitty-gritty specifications.

In short: if you want the radio, the Rino is a no-brainer. If the radio isn't important, and you want a top-of-the-line unit with a touch screen, then start comparing the eXplorist 710 to the Oregon 650.

The reason I asked for your criteria is that you picked two GPS units that are far apart in function and usage. If you need the radio, then your choice is the 655T. The unit comes with an optional 4AA battery attachment. You also mentioned the need for a primary GPS with multiple uses. The most popular GPS with a strong reputation for reliability and accuracy was the 60CSx. The successor to that legendary GPS is the 62 series. It does everything you said you needed. No offense to the Delorme PN60 or the Magellan 710 which are both very fine units. The Oregon 600 series is new and like any new GPS has the potential to become an outstanding piece of hardware. Time will tell. Your right now choice is the 62 series. Good luck in whatever you decide to buy--you have my recommendation.

Lol thanks for the great responses. When I started this thread, I only had two choices in mind. Lol now, I'm up to four.

Looking at the Oregon 650t, am I wrong in assuming that the "t" stands for topographic and will basically have the same kind of map displayed as on the Garmin Rino 655t?

The older Oregon 450/550 models were announced in May 2009, while the eXplorist 510/610/710 were announced in July 2010 (both dates grabbed from engadget.com articles).

Is there anyway that you could let me know when the Garmin Rino 655t was annouced and released? For some reason, I wasn't able to pull that website up.

Lol thanks for the great responses. When I started this thread, I only had two choices in mind. Lol now, I'm up to four. Looking at the Oregon 650t, am I wrong in assuming that the "t" stands for topographic and will basically have the same kind of map displayed as on the Garmin Rino 655t?

Yes, "t" indicates topographic maps are preloaded.

The older Oregon 450/550 models were announced in May 2009, while the eXplorist 510/610/710 were announced in July 2010 (both dates grabbed from engadget.com articles).
Is there anyway that you could let me know when the Garmin Rino 655t was annouced and released? For some reason, I wasn't able to pull that website up.

June 1st, 2011 was the announcement, and it says "third quarter of 2011" for the availability.

Another question I just came up with... What file format does the Garmin Rino 655t and the Oregon 650t use to save tracks? For example, when I am out hiking with my Magellan, I come back to the house and I hook up the USB cable, and save the GPX file that has all the track information (then I upload it into Google Earth). Will the Rino 655t and Oregon 655t have the same kind of file format? If not, what is the extension the file uses?

Also, has anyone actually SEEN the Rino 655t or Oregon 655t save multiple tracks? As I said in an earlier post, my eXplorist GC seems to only save one track. If I do another trail it will either delete the previous track when I start a new one, or when I save the second track it will write over the first. Never saves, or gives me the option, to save more than that one track. I have figured out a way around that by finishing one trail, hitting "Pause Track", and then hitting resume when I start the next trail. However, for what I am doing on Google Earth, I would like it if the track counter would start over on each trail.

I really think the ability to save multiple tracks is a VERY big deal breaker for me, and I would for sure sacrifice the radio/NOAA for it. So, really curious to know if anyone has had hands on experience with that for either unit, or read a better description online than I have. I just read a product description on REI for the Oregon 655t and it says that you can save tracks with up to 10,000 points, but it didn't say anything about multiple tracks.

Thanks. Really hoping to make the purchase this weekend and pretty stoked about it.

They record tracks as GPX files. The Oregon is capable of recording FIT files (commonly used with runners and cyclists), but it defaults to GPX. Both devices can have up to 200 tracks saved, with a lot more "archived" on the device. You can just archive or unarchive tracks on the device. Archived just means that you can't set it up to show on the map or route on it.

They record tracks as GPX files. The Oregon is capable of recording FIT files (commonly used with runners and cyclists), but it defaults to GPX. Both devices can have up to 200 tracks saved, with a lot more "archived" on the device. You can just archive or unarchive tracks on the device. Archived just means that you can't set it up to show on the map or route on it.

Thanks! Lol I guess while you were typing that I ended up finding that article on the Garmin page. I do appreciate it.

Let me ask this, do you think that a device that has the "quad helix" antenae (spelling?) acquires the signal quicker, maintains it longer and through worst conditions (deep cover, canyons), and has better accuracy? When compared to devices that don't have anything like that at all? Was watching some of the Garmin videos and they seem to talking that up on the models that do have them, and it makes it seem like they are more accurate and all that. What is the general thought on that?

I've heard some people who are adamant that GPS devices without the quad helix are worthless, but I haven't had too much trouble with a patch antenna. I think it probably helps some, but I also think that some of the admiration of the quad helix is just a perceived benefit (aka it's partly just in their heads). To put it another way, I think it helps, but not as much as people think. Of course, that's just my opinion. I also like the touchscreen vs. the buttons, so I'm naturally in favor of the Oregon vs. the 62. The Rino looks like an interesting beast with both a touchscreen and a quad helix antenna.

I have the Rhino 520. Love it! GREAT accuracy. Radio is fun, but requires that someone else have one also (to use it). Only other thing I am not sure on, is if the radio frequencies can be picked up by any other radios that are NOT the Rhino (such as Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement,etc)...have never heard 1 way or the other. I am also not amused that with the money I spent for it, I had to spend another $85 for the FCC license to use the high power/long range frequencies. The rechargeable lithium battery that comes with it goes for about 16 hours continuous use. I got a back up battery unit that holds AA batteries for back up. Good luck in your decision!

I have a 535 Rino that is still my comparison. Since then my wife picked up a 500 series Oregon, and I later bought a 550 Oregon. I don't know if it's the antenna or not, but the Rino is still the most accurate signal grabbing device I have.

I really only bought the Oregon for the paperless option. The new cell phone apps are great, but out in the sticks, when the service goes, the information goes. I also like to preload stuff up for travel so I really love the paperless function.

My other big issue and reason for keeping the Rino in the line up is the screen. The Oregon is way to dark to stick in a handlebar adapter for my motorcycle. I end up using the Rino in map mode and the other device to get off and search.

The radio function is great for events, and having access to weather radio is always a plus.