Magellan GC stuck

I am a newbie. I just got a Magellan GC today. I was trying to download a cache but when i downloaded Magellan explorist GC device plug-in, the screen got stuck on the device. It has Magellan at the top in white and the rest of the screen is black. It won't turn off, none of the buttons do anything. Any suggestions?

I am a newbie. I just got a Magellan GC today. I was trying to download a cache but when i downloaded Magellan explorist GC device plug-in, the screen got stuck on the device. It has Magellan at the top in white and the rest of the screen is black. It won't turn off, none of the buttons do anything. Any suggestions?

Pull the batteries out and put them back in - should at least get it un-frozen!

Pull the batteries out and put them back in - should at least get it un-frozen!

I tried that but when I power up, I still get the same screen and nothing else.

Switch to other batteries. Occasionally a faulty battery can cause such a malfunction.

Don't hurry the replacement, either. Remove the current ones, let it set for 1/2 hr or so, then put in the new ones.

If this doesn't cure the problem, find out how to perform a master reset -- best done with how-to info provided directly from Magellan.

This has happened to mine a few times. It seems to happen when unplugging from computer while turned on and turning off then right back on again for me. If the removing the batteries alone does not fix it, remove and replace the batteries, and attempt to boot it while connected to a computer . That has fixed it for me every time. Make sure to turn the device off before unplugging from the computer in the future. I found this trick online after I had the problem and I too was thinking I needed to get a new unit after only having mine for a day. It is a PITA, but I love the unit otherwise so I guess it is worth it for me.

EDIT: It happened again today and NOTHING is working to fix it. Not even the stupid "hold power and menu and joystick" and not even reset. I am VERY discouraged. I would try updating/reinstalling the software but I cant do that unless I can turn the unit on because my computer does not recognize it unless it is on.

EDIT (Again): After letting the unit set for a while w/o batteries I tried fresh batteries and turned it on while connected to USB. I then updated the software to 2.15 (it was at 1.8 previously) I will let you know if I continue to have problems with the new software.

Edited by AHGoodwin

This has happened to mine a few times. It seems to happen when unplugging from computer while turned on and turning off then right back on again for me. If the removing the batteries alone does not fix it, remove and replace the batteries, and attempt to boot it while connected to a computer . That has fixed it for me every time. Make sure to turn the device off before unplugging from the computer in the future. I found this trick online after I had the problem and I too was thinking I needed to get a new unit after only having mine for a day. It is a PITA, but I love the unit otherwise so I guess it is worth it for me.

EDIT: It happened again today and NOTHING is working to fix it. Not even the stupid "hold power and menu and joystick" and not even reset. I am VERY discouraged. I would try updating/reinstalling the software but I cant do that unless I can turn the unit on because my computer does not recognize it unless it is on.

EDIT (Again): After letting the unit set for a while w/o batteries I tried fresh batteries and turned it on while connected to USB. I then updated the software to 2.15 (it was at 1.8 previously) I will let you know if I continue to have problems with the new software.

Instead of turning off the GPSr, then unplugging it, try this instead....

Once your finished doing what your doing to the GPSr, go down to the tab under "Computer" to which ever drive the Magellan is associated to, in my case its the "G" drive. Using your mouse, right click on it and use the "Eject" option. After a few seconds you'll get a pop-up saying "this device is safe to remove now" Unplug the USB and you shouldn't have any problems.