Garmin etrex10 Question

BaileyLinc

I just started geocaching three months ago so I am very new, but the family is having fun. I have run into an issue with my Garmin and I am hoping someone can help me out.

I have downloaded some caches to find around town and than started downloading ones for our trip, but they do not all show up. It is like my cache "inbox" is full. If this is the case does anybody know how many caches an e10 can display? How can you delete a cache from your search list, we have not always found all of them as we pass through an area being new? Is there a way to get ones off the display that have been labeled as "Did not find" so there is more room on the display?

Thank you for your help. I love my Garmin except the fact that the manual is sub-par.

John

I just started geocaching three months ago so I am very new, but the family is having fun. I have run into an issue with my Garmin and I am hoping someone can help me out.

I have downloaded some caches to find around town and than started downloading ones for our trip, but they do not all show up. It is like my cache "inbox" is full. If this is the case does anybody know how many caches an e10 can display? How can you delete a cache from your search list, we have not always found all of them as we pass through an area being new? Is there a way to get ones off the display that have been labeled as "Did not find" so there is more room on the display?

Thank you for your help. I love my Garmin except the fact that the manual is sub-par.

John

Not sure about your GPSr, but as I understand some units only display X number of caches and the ones that are out of the area aren't displayed until you get to a closer proximity of them, even though they are on your unit. I believe the eTrex 10 can store 1000 waypoints. If you are not sure if all of the caches you think you have loaded are there, then connect your GPS to your computer and using BaseCamp (Software that came with your unit or if you don't have it can be downloaded free from Garmin) you will be able to see on a map all of the caches loaded on your GPSr and also a list.

If this doesn't help give us more info on exactly what you have done and maybe we can assist.

Tom - I wasn't able to find that on my e10, but who knows I will keep looking.

cwgrizz - The thing is no software came with my Garmin that I can find and even the downloadable manual is vague on how to do things. I will have to check the little box again to see if it had anything in it that I missed. After a little looking I am using the Garmin Communicator and since it is an add on to my browser I can't really find any information on how it works or accessing things on it.

Is there a GPS for dummies out there? :laughing:

Thank you for the help on my "mission impossible" :)

Edited by BaileyLinc

cwgrizz - The thing is no software came with my Garmin that I can find and even the downloadable manual is vague on how to do things. I will have to check the little box again to see if it had anything in it that I missed. After a little looking I am using the Garmin Communicator and since it is an add on to my browser I can't really find any information on how it works or accessing things on it.

Is there a GPS for dummies out there? :laughing:

Thank you for the help on my "mission impossible" :)

Bailey,

First off BaseCamp is a "free" Download from Garmin. It can be downloaded HERE

Once you download BaseCamp and install it, all you have to do is connect your eTrex to your computer with the USB cable and open basecamp. It should show your eTrex in the listing. If it doesn't, try turning off/disconnecting your eTrex from the computer and reconnecting it again. Click eTrex from the list on the left of Basecamp and a list of waypoints will be displayed and also shown on the map.

Then it is just a matter of highlighting a cache to delete, etc.

Thank you I will give that a try tonight.

I knew I needed a GPS for dummies class!

Not sure which OS you are using on your computer (Windows or Mac), but as a caution, before disconnecting the USB/GPS from your computer, always do the steps for Safely removing Hardware ie Windows, the thumbdrive looking icon found in the System Tray and for Macs, I think it is to drag the volume to the garbage can. This helps to prevent corrupt files from happening. :o