Best In Category (I suppose!)

TheHendersons1118

Hello!

The forum has been great for finding out the type of caches we are interested in, and in getting rapid information, so I would like to try again. The GPS that my girlfriend and I are using is a little old yellow etrex model. While I think it works pretty decently, I really feel like I need to have some more "visual" capability in it (i.e I need to see some maps, some features, etc). Also, I've noticed that in even light tree cover, it tends to get a bit wonky and jumps around a bit. What I'm asking the forum for is to recommend to me a good, clean, no-nonsense "best option" for where we are financially to invest in a new GPS. I know there's so many different opinions about gear, but I figured if I posted this, something would jump out.

What it needs to have:

1. Some "mapping" feature - I don't care if it has to be preloaded or loaded by hand, as long as I can do so from a Mac

2. Good to "better than good" capabilities in cover

3. Measures down to feet (I've seen some that don't!)

What I'm looking to spend: $100 - $200 (but if you know a must-have for less, please, let me know!)

Again, at this point I'm really just looking for someone who knows enough about the gear side to just point me to one and say that's the choice. Thank you, forum-folk!

I'm interested in basically the same requirements. I've been using only my phone so far and have noticed on recent caches that I just can't zero in very well. I am interested in stability and one that has a better-than-cellphone degree of accuracy. I'm still not serious enough to be able to justify spending over $200 (my wife would kill me!)...but it would be great to have a better device especially for the caches in wooded areas.

I don't think you'll ever get a forum consensus on the "best" GPS unit - everyone seems to have their own preferences and likes and dislikes of the units they've tried, so opinions is the best you can ask for. :D

That said, I'm happy to give my opinion. I've cached with an android phone, a Magellan eXplorist GC, a Magellan eXplorist 510, and a Garmin eTrex 20. I liked the 510 for the touch screen, but overall I've been the happiest with the eTrex 20. I've found it has greater accuracy, especially under trees, and it's so nice to be able to get good, free maps for it as well. Learning how to navigate the unit with the joystick took a little time, but I've gotten used to it now and it no longer slows me down.

Chiming in with kudos on the eTrex. Mine is the eTrex 30 (same as the 20 but adds electronic compass). Battery life is exceptional and with GLONASS satellite reception in addition to the US satellites, the only times I have lost signal was indoors or in a cave.

Chiming in with kudos on the eTrex. Mine is the eTrex 30 (same as the 20 but adds electronic compass). Battery life is exceptional and with GLONASS satellite reception in addition to the US satellites, the only times I have lost signal was indoors or in a cave.

Okay, maybe I'm dense...but doesn't the 20 have a compass? See

around the 6:20 mark. Am I missing something? I'm curious because the 30 is above my self-imposed price limit...just wondering about what features you get for that. Edited by J Grouchy

Okay, maybe I'm dense...but doesn't the 20 have a compass? See

around the 6:20 mark. Am I missing something? I'm curious because the 30 is above my self-imposed price limit...just wondering about what features you get for that.

Yes, it has a compass, but it does not have an electronic compass.

An electronic compass actually reads the Earth's magnetic field...

The "compass" in an eTrex 20 reads your movement (in conjunction with the satellite signals) to determine your direction of travel.

The electronic compass provides an true readings while stationary, the other (inertia) "compass" does not -- if you aren't moving, you don't have a "good" directional reading.

Interesting video but, I see the camera, more so than the compass in that video. Read the manufacture's specs on their website, rather than review youtube videos. The "compass" looks similar or nearly identical, it just functions differently.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee