A couple questions on posting....

I posted my first way mark yesterday. I started with an easy one.

I had a lot of problems with finding the category, first it wouldn't let me do it. After about 6 tries I was able to get it right

as in the web site was messed up.

Second is it easier to print out a list of all of them and then pick you category and work towards it?

I know over time it will get easier.

Thanks

The Yote

I think there are just toooo many categories to do it that way. I had just started Waymarking when I talked to GEO*Trailblazer 1, a legend in Waymarking (and Geocaching). He gave me some advice. Look for a few categories that you really like, then make the rounds looking for everything that can go in those categories. For example, he did benchmarks (my personal yuck), stained glass windows, masonic halls, and a bunch of other things.

I've been working on all of the Country Churches, Baptist Churches, Cemeteries, Firehouses, Former Schools, and a few others, in my county, and a couple of surrounding counties. IF I see something else that I know would fit a WM category, and hasn't been already waymarked, I may snap a photo and make a waypoint on my GPSr for it. Then I'll Waymark it along with the ones that I'm working on.

A couple of times I got home and went to Waymark something only to have Waymarking warn me that there was already a Waymark for that category very near the coordinates - and sure enough, it was the very thing I had photoed. But that's OK, I turned it into a Visit on someone else's Waymark instead.

Find what works best for you.

When you start with posting a waymark and then select the category as first thing (that's how I understand your procedure), you are likely to run into some problems as a beginner.

You can easily go lost in the category tree, but more important is that you maybe will miss some special requirements for a category.

When I want to post a waymark for a category I am not familiar with, then I go to the category page. Always check the "show additional information" link, here you will find out if your finding does qualify at all, and if there are special requirements for posting a waymark, like pictures, mandatory pieces of information and the like.

When I have checked this, I always have a look at a couple of the latest entries in the category, to get a feeling of what is accepted and good practice for this category.

BTW, fi67 beat me to it on several points.

Just this morning I was thinking about your question and an example came to mind. I was taking photos of a National Heritage and Former School (dual listing) Waymark, and I noticed an outhouse off to the side. Since I knew there was a category for outhouses, I took a few photos and came home to write things up.

When I looked at the full information for the outhouses category, I discovered that one needs to take a photo of the inside of the outhouse. There is a very good reason for this, which is mentioned in the full information for the Outhouses category. But I didn't realize it when I was out in the field.

If you have a reasonable subset of categories in your mind when you go out to make the rounds, you can usually keep in mind the unique requirements for each category as regards to photos and information. Benchmarks require both a close up and a context photo. Country Churches should have some photos showing that they are in the country (not required, but asked for as a Would Be Nice), not just close-ups. And so on.