So I have this idea for....

I have 24 sites identified from Pfanz's book and other sources for a tour of Gettysburg Day 1. I think Waymarking is the best way to get it out there but I need GS feedback on that statement.

I have written descriptive blurbs about each site and why each is important to the battle. I have waymarked most of the sites in my Colorado 300 but I think the coords are off. I began to post one of the sites in Waymarking titled "Day 1: Barlow as ordered by Schurz". The map site returned by my coords is not correct, so I know I have some verification to do with all of my coords. I will work on that.

I would like to upload the project in the next week but I need answers for the following questions:

1. Is this better accomplished thru another GS application?

2. I would like to secure site visit verification from GCs who use the tour so that I can reward them with Geocoins, is this easily accomplished thru Waymarking?

3. Can I use Waymarking for posting the tour but charge a nominal fee (eg <=$10) to interested parties to receive the extensive historical notes that I have compiled about the campaign and Day 1 battle sites?

4. Is there a better way to verify coords if my C300 lets me down again?

I will probably have more questions but these are good to start. Let the feedback flow. All commentary and suggestions are appreciated.

M&DDDADDY

Your Coords not being correct might be the format of the coordinate you are using.

There is a setting in the GPS that sets it, we use WGS84 Datum. If you don't have that correct in your setting, the numbers will be wonky.

If you have the waypoint saved, and adjust the setting in your GPS it will magically turn into the correct number without you having to do anything.

Concerning the additional information, you can contact GS, but I doubt they would want a sale to be solicited directly in the waymark. I would link to another website where the information was available for purchase.

Edited by GT.US

You will have to send a request directly to Groundspeak to solicit on your waymark. You may want to check out the several hundred waymarks that are already posted on the Gettyburg Battlefield, it is has one of the highest concentrations of waymarks of anywhere in the country. I think you will probably find a waymark for each of your 24 sites already with substantial information provided thus I doubt anyone would pay to get further information.

Your Coords not being correct might be the format of the coordinate you are using.

There is a setting in the GPS that sets it, we use WGS84 Datum. If you don't have that correct in your setting, the numbers will be wonky.

If you have the waypoint saved, and adjust the setting in your GPS it will magically turn into the correct number without you having to do anything.

Concerning the additional information, you can contact GS, but I doubt they would want a sale to be solicited directly in the waymark. I would link to another website where the information was available for purchase.

GT.US wrote...

"There is a setting in the GPS that sets it, we use WGS84 Datum. If you don't have that correct in your setting, the numbers will be wonky.

If you have the waypoint saved, and adjust the setting in your GPS it will magically turn into the correct number without you having to do anything."

GT...appreciate the recommendation and have changed the setting. The site setting appears to be the same however. I really need to verify my waypoints, as a matter of good geocaching if for no other reason.

BruceS wrote...

"You may want to check out the several hundred waymarks that are already posted on the Gettyburg Battlefield, it is has one of the highest concentrations of waymarks of anywhere in the country. I think you will probably find a waymark for each of your 24 sites already with substantial information provided thus I doubt anyone would pay to get further information."

I appreciate this recommendation, too, and I don't doubt that most of the monuments and markers I used for point of reference are identified with waymarks. However, I have several sites that I know are not. One, for example has been referred to in a regimental history and other first person accounts of the battle. When I asked the rangers about it they knew of the incident I asked about and acknowledged that it was an unmarked but well known point of interest to historians.

These are the sites I want to introduce to interested cachers and those who would like to follow the battle as it developed. The perspective I offer in my summaries is more detailed than those included in the majority of waymarks I have reviewed. Another aspect of my project is to present the sites in chronological order to maintain the feeling of the flow of the battle and introduce key incidents that influenced the outcome of the tactical moves of the generals, colonels and majors involved.

As for the interest in paying for the information I compiled, I would prefer to leave that to market forces. My goal isn't to gain an income from this effort but to offset some of the costs I have incurred producing the Day 1 tour I have compiled. I believe that among all of the visitors to Gettysburg there are enough interested geocachers and history buffs with a GPS to want a self-guided tour with a well written guide of the action.

Edited by m&dddaddy

I'd like to help debug the coordinates issue. 1. enter them into the create a waymark page, and click save. Use the post with no catgeory, when you save it will have a dialog about a uncategorized waymark 2. Hit reply to this and post them here, also. Copy paste/the URL to the waymark you created in your reply.

Then use the map in the upper right to see where your coordinates point to and tell us what is bad about them.