Garmin Etrex Auto-Zoom function

crb11

I've just discovered my Etrex 20 has an auto-zoom function, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything! What would be convenient would be for the map to zoom in as I approach a cache (or waypoint) - I tend to have it mounted on my bike handlebars, and it's too fiddly to adjust while I'm cycling. Any ideas whether this is possible? Thanks.

Not sure this is much help but I am using a Oregon 600 with OpenCycleMaps and the auto zoom does not work. Also my Garmin Edge 810 does not auto-zoom either (mind you it may not have that feature :anicute: ). I tend to set it at a comfortable level for me and use it that way.

Regards

Andrew

I've just discovered my Etrex 20 has an auto-zoom function, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything! What would be convenient would be for the map to zoom in as I approach a cache (or waypoint) - I tend to have it mounted on my bike handlebars, and it's too fiddly to adjust while I'm cycling. Any ideas whether this is possible? Thanks.

This function can really only work if the unit knows the spot that you are trying to get to. So if you are routing (either direct or by streets) it has a way to know how far you are from the destination and can zoom so that both your current position and your destination are on the screen. So just having your unit's "dashboard" indicate where the geocache is would not be enough; you actually have to tell the unit to navigate to it. Try that to see if that makes sense.

This function can really only work if the unit knows the spot that you are trying to get to. So if you are routing (either direct or by streets) it has a way to know how far you are from the destination and can zoom so that both your current position and your destination are on the screen. So just having your unit's "dashboard" indicate where the geocache is would not be enough; you actually have to tell the unit to navigate to it. Try that to see if that makes sense.

Sure. I've told the GPS to "go to" either the waypoint or geocache, so it definitely knows this. Information I'm getting from elsewhere suggests the autozoom only works if you're following a route.