Trackables

laru820

It has been very disappointing to choose a geocache with trackables listed in the inventory, but when we travel to the site, which is sometimes several miles or a day or two journey, we find no trackables in the cache container. I think geocachers are forgetting the rule of leaving a trackable when they take one. Also, it seems people are not taking the time to log that they have retrieved a travel bug or geocoin so those visiting a geocache will know it has moved on. Sometimes three will be three or more listed in the inventory, but when we reach it, there is nothing. I think some may be taking more than they are supposed to. Hopefully, we can all be respectful and courteous and remember to leave one if ONE is taken. We think the trackables make geocaching a lot of fun and interesting and we would like to see everyone have an opportunity to enjoy them. When we first began geocaching several years ago, trackables were usually always available in the caches but lately this does not seem to be the case. Let's make it fun for everyone and not take more than our share and log in when you do take one.

From what I gather the trade even or better rule isn't applied to trackables. The point is to help them on their journey, isn't it?

What people are supposed to do is log finding/taking it though so that people don't make a fruitless trip of trying to get a trackable.

The main thing is Trackables not being logged correctly. Plus people taking everything all the time (not just Trackables) and then keeping everything, and logging none of it.

It doesn’t matter to me if there’s no “trading” of Trackables, especially since you may be holding a TB a long time til you found a “trade” for it. And take as many as you can manage. In many cases, that number is zero.

But let me introduce another part of the equation: You need to also plan, and perform the drop, promptly. Plenty of the posts are about people who can’t find Trackables to take (no offense :anicute:). Based on what we see listed in cache Inventories, people obviously are overlooking the need to then release the items.

I’d prefer that my Trackables not show up in cache lists for people to go and take. Maybe it would be good to not list them at all. Let it be a surprise. After all, the current system isn’t working out very well.

Edited by kunarion

I like the hidden inventory idea. So many people are upset by incorrect inventory. I'd still like the caches to show up on the TB page, but they might as well ditch the "inventory." SOMEtimes I go out of my way for a trackable, but often they're missing anyhow. Also, Kunarion--I've moved only one more trackable than I own, so I guess I'm doing my part (only a few are still in my collection).

Laru, I think it's generally agreed that trackable items do not follow the rules of swag. They are meant to travel, and if a person could help three with their goals, he could take three. Be sure to mention in your log that the coin or TB was missing so that the next person isn't likewise disappointed.

The problem isn't people taking and not leaving a trackable. As others have said, trackables are not trade items. The problem is people taking a trackable and not logging it.

If I find a cache that's supposed to have trackables, but doesn't, I mention in my "found" log that the trackables weren't there, and also go to the trackable page and leave a note there saying it's missing.

I've seen mini test tube caches and nano's that had trackables in them according to the inventory. It's not just a case of not logging, but logging trackables' movements incorrectly.

If cachers are expecting to find Trackables in a nano container, the problem is worse than I thought.

Edited by kunarion

I've seen mini test tube caches and nano's that had trackables in them according to the inventory. It's not just a case of not logging, but logging trackables' movements incorrectly.

If cachers are expecting to find Trackables in a nano container, the problem is worse than I thought.

So where the heck have you been? I remember us telling people to wait for the previous cacher to catch up on their logging before they grabbed it away so they won't mess up the logging. Which of course the forum could always instruct them how to fix for them later. Yeah. Good times.

Now we have nothing but a mess of missing TBs and I'm not going to tell the OP that don't have a right to offer some sort of solution. Even if it's not prefect.

And yes the mess does definitely include missing TBs dropped in mircos. So why don't you tell us how we can address it.

And yes the mess does definitely include missing TBs dropped in mircos. So why don't you tell us how we can address it.

Inform TB hunters that TBs don't fit in nanos. :anicute:

Is the whole issue simply that almost nobody can figure out how to log Trackables? They make one mis-log and get stuck (and they don't ask for help)? I imagine most any TB is under a growing accumulation of junk, because the finder didn't know what to do next, and didn't plan to put any work into it.

One of my TBs was taken and lost before traveling at all. Today I noticed that at that time the guy who took it posted a photo with him holding it. Just wow.

Hopefully, we can all be respectful and courteous and remember to leave one if ONE is taken.

That's not a rule. I don't put trackables in any ol' cache. I choose the cache I place it in carefully based on whether it has a lot of logs mentioning missing trackables, among other things. I want to give the trackable the best chance I can to continue its journey.

Currently I am trying to find trackables in my hometown in North Carolina to take with me on vacation and drop them in Ohio (and will pick up trackables in Ohio to bring back home). So I will not be trading trackables in each cache. Most owners want their trackables to travel far.

You'd think trackables were everywhere based on the inventory logs of caches, but they're usually missing. I'm trying to target caches where the last person to find it mentions dropping a TB, but that isn't always foolproof.

I've come across a newer cacher that only "discovers" trackables, even if they take it or drop it off. :huh: