Help needed - GPS, which one

lmgscaplis

Well I have become addicted very quickly to geo caching. Husband has got a basic GPS watch that has been more than suitable for our finds up to now but I want something a bit better.

The price doesn't matter and I have been looking at the Oregon 600t - however do I need it? I only ever intend to use the GPS to geo cache and my friend has just ordered an extrex 30. Am I going to get anymore out of the extra spend?

Any advice, or recommendations for alternative systems is appreciated.

I see that you live in Germany. The difference between the 600 and the 600t is that the "t" comes pre-loaded with U.S. topographical maps. The rest of the world-wide mapping is shaded relief -- this is according to their webpage describing the 600t.

That said, there is a $80 USD price difference (suggested retail) between the two. If you do not plan on using it within the U.S., it doesn't make too much sense to spend the extra money for mapping that you don't need.

There are plenty of very good maps available for purchase and online (free) of Europe.

It is a very good unit, but I think that you just may be wasting money focusing on the 600t. The 600 has identical functionality.

There is nothing wrong with the eTrex 30, either. You can still load mapping to it as well.

You have a wise friend.

It's not unlike a smartphone, if all you do is use it as a phone then you don't need the latest most expensive one.

That said...

Since you said money is no object, I'd get the base Montana over the Oregon...better screen. If you go that way.

I've used a Montana for caching and its just too large and heavy for the trail. We have used and own dozens of GPS units but my favorite is the 62S. I prefer buttons and it has a bright screen and is spot on accurate ( has quad ant. )

I have not used the new Oregon 600 but it usually takes over a year for a new unit to have decent firmware.