How do I get a Pocket Query

acachebox

If I have created a SMALL pocket query it says I will ge tan instant download. Do I have to have my GPS plugged into the computer or where will this instant download go? I did one and saw the Preview but am lost from there. Can I retrieve that query somewhere or do I have to rebuild it?

Did you select a day for the query to run? If not all you'll get is the preview. Once it actually runs it should be available for download under "My Pocket Queries". If it resulted in 500 caches or less it will be emailed to you. If it's over 500 caches you will find it under the "Pocket Queries Ready For Download" tab. Click on the query and save it to your computer. You may want to create a folder on your computer for PQ downloads so they'll always be in the same place.

PQ's of less than 501 caches are emailed. The "instant" revolves around when you open the email. Not when the PQ is submitted.

Even if you were to open the email, your computer allows you to save the download. Load it to your unit when ready to do so.

Any downloaded PQ (email or direct) would be held in a Saved Download file, assuming that you selected [save]. It helps to name a Pocket Query before running it as it makes it more recognizable from other possible downloads saved -- create a name near the very top of the PQ page.

The preview IS NOT a Pocket Query. It is only a preview of what a [submitted] PQ would contain. Key word = Submit.

Did you select a day for the query to run? If not all you'll get is the preview. Once it actually runs it should be available for download under "My Pocket Queries". If it resulted in 500 caches or less it will be emailed to you. If it's over 500 caches you will find it under the "Pocket Queries Ready For Download" tab. Click on the query and save it to your computer. You may want to create a folder on your computer for PQ downloads so they'll always be in the same place.

My query was an Instant Download,400 caches. My question was where and how can I retrieve? There is nothing in the instruction for Pocket Query that gives any idea of how to do this. The instruction were written by someone who knew the answer and just did not include it.

If the Pocket Query actually ran, and since it's less than 500 caches, it will show up in your email as a zipped attachment. Download it, unzip it, and then either drag and drop the GPX files into the appropriate folder in your GPS unit or employ whatever sort of communication software you might use to do it.

Alternatively, if you go to "Pocket Queries" in the dropdown menu, and then hit the tab for queries ready for download, it should also be listed as a file there. Download it, unzip it, and then upload them to your GPS unit.

Alternatively, if you go to "Pocket Queries" in the dropdown menu,

I think I found it. Now the question will be to load it. It shows in my Query list but it doesn't show in the Ready For Download list. How do I move it from the list to my GPS?

Edited by acachebox

Are you sure you selected a day for it to run? Click on it in the query list, and then click "Wednesday" for the day for it to run. Scroll down to the bottom and submit it.

It might take a few minutes, but after that it should show up in the ready for download tab.

OK the problem was I had not selected a day to run.

Now I have received the download notice and SAVED the file. I have NO IDEA where it was saved as it did not give an option or show where it was to be saved.

I have a saved file on my computer named X. I have dragged that file to the "G" drive named Garmin Oregon, Garmin, GPX. The file appears in the folder GPX. I have plugged my GPX to the computer. Nothing visible happened and when I open the Garmin and search for one of the caches in the PQ, by GCXXXX I get NO RESULTS. What do I need to do now?

If I search for a cache that I have loaded directly to the Garmin as a single cache and search by GCXXXX it comes back NO RESULTS also even though I know that caches is on the unit.

It appears I have to search by NAME not GC number. The PQ has loaded to my Garmin. Not sure I will remember this sequesters route but one can only hope. I assume once in that area caches will appear in a distance from my location.

Thanks

Edited by acachebox

I have a saved file on my computer named X. I have dragged that file to the "G" drive named Garmin Oregon, Garmin, GPX. The file appears in the folder GPX. I have plugged my GPX to the computer. Nothing visible happened and when I open the Garmin and search for one of the caches in the PQ, by GCXXXX I get NO RESULTS. What do I need to do now?

Unless you named the file X when downloading, that would not be the correct file. The file name normally starts with 7 numbers (E.G. 6638577). If you checked the "Include Pocket Query name in download file name" box, then it'll be 7 number an underscore (I.E. _) followed by whatever you entered as the Query Name when creating it. (E.G. 6638577_MyFirstPQ)

In case that is the correct name, or when you find the PQ, double click that file to open it. You should see 2 files with similar names, but one will end in "-wpts". You want to copy those two files to the GPS.

Did you unzip the file? You should end up with two GPX files, one for the geocaches and one for the waypoints. Both should go into the GPX folder on your Garmin.

Yes they were unzipped. As noted above I did get the file, I used the terms GCXXXX for illustration only, loaded on my Garmin450 and can find a given cache on it as a test.

Did you copy both files or just one? Make sure you copy over both - if you just copied the waypoints file you won't find any geocaches on the Garmin.

If you definitely copied the geocaches file, can you tell us how big that file is? I'm wondering if maybe there weren't any caches in the file itself.

When you preview the PQ on the geocaching.com website, do you get caches that show up? Sometimes people run PQs with two filters selected that cancel each other out and produce no caches, for example, selecting caches "I have not found" and "I have found" means that the query is searching for caches that satisfy BOTH those requirements, which ends up producing no results. The best thing to do is to simply check a day for it to run and don't select anything else.

Did you copy both files or just one? Make sure you copy over both - if you just copied the waypoints file you won't find any geocaches on the Garmin.

If you definitely copied the geocaches file, can you tell us how big that file is? I'm wondering if maybe there weren't any caches in the file itself.

When you preview the PQ on the geocaching.com website, do you get caches that show up? Sometimes people run PQs with two filters selected that cancel each other out and produce no caches, for example, selecting caches "I have not found" and "I have found" means that the query is searching for caches that satisfy BOTH those requirements, which ends up producing no results. The best thing to do is to simply check a day for it to run and don't select anything else.

I only loaded the geocache files. The file size was 1.108KB.

Things are working.

My problem is that fact that any direction supplied by Geospeak are written by someone who knows what they are doing and thus leaves out 90% of the information or refers to it by a TAB designation that no one has any idea where that tab night be. At least when you buy something from China you can figure out what they mean by "plug the thing into the thing and plug the other end of the thing into the thing" The complete instructions that came with my DVD.

I only loaded the geocache files. The file size was 1.108KB.

Things are working.

My problem is that fact that any direction supplied by Geospeak are written by someone who knows what they are doing and thus leaves out 90% of the information or refers to it by a TAB designation that no one has any idea where that tab night be. At least when you buy something from China you can figure out what they mean by "plug the thing into the thing and plug the other end of the thing into the thing" The complete instructions that came with my DVD.

"Things are working" meaning you got the geocaches to show up in your Garmin?

My latest PQ held 100 caches and was over 200KB. This makes me think that the file you are putting into your Garmin doesn't actually have any geocaches in it.

I'm sorry if this is a frustrating experience. I'm doing my best to help you figure out what the issue is. Once you get your first PQ successfully submitted and put into your Garmin, all the others will seem easy and so convenient! Promise! :D

"Things are working" meaning you got the geocaches to show up in your Garmin?

My latest PQ held 100 caches and was over 200KB. This makes me think that the file you are putting into your Garmin doesn't actually have any geocaches in it.

I'm sorry if this is a frustrating experience. I'm doing my best to help you figure out what the issue is. Once you get your first PQ successfully submitted and put into your Garmin, all the others will seem easy and so convenient! Promise! :D

Yes

The frustrating is that I have loaded PQs before and the system is sufficiently complex that I can't just work from memory.

Your help is appreciated

Thanks Again