Entering My Own Destination?

I have both the Magellan Explorist GC and the Garmin Rino 110. I am wanting to know how to manually enter in GPS coordinates on both devices. With the GC, I know how to do the "paperless" geocaching and putting in pocket queries and all that, but what if I have the coordinates of a location that is NOT a geocache? Like, how can I manually enter those coordinates into the GC and have it navigate me there? Is that possible with the GC?

Also, the same question applies to the Rino 110. Really would like to use both of those in the same manner.

Thanks!

I have both the Magellan Explorist GC and the Garmin Rino 110. I am wanting to know how to manually enter in GPS coordinates on both devices. With the GC, I know how to do the "paperless" geocaching and putting in pocket queries and all that, but what if I have the coordinates of a location that is NOT a geocache? Like, how can I manually enter those coordinates into the GC and have it navigate me there? Is that possible with the GC?

Also, the same question applies to the Rino 110. Really would like to use both of those in the same manner.

Thanks!

All GPSr units (I believe) are capable of setting a waypoint. They were doing that before geocaching came along....

GC: from the Menu > highlight "New Waypoint" > [Enter] > [save] -- this maneuver "marks" your position as a waypoint. You may alter those coordinates to any that you so desire (don't forget to [save] again, if you do). You should also be able to name that particular waypoint upon creation, otherwise the GPSr will assign a name (usually numbers).

Rino: the procedure may be a little different, but simply "mark" your current position and alter name/coordinates as needed. It is the same, except that on earlier Garmins, you usually just scroll up to the coordinates/name and change them w/o going through a menu.

Early Garmin units are very restrictive (short) in the waypoint name field.

All GPSr units (I believe) are capable of setting a waypoint. They were doing that before geocaching came along....

GC: from the Menu > highlight "New Waypoint" > [Enter] > [save] -- this maneuver "marks" your position as a waypoint. You may alter those coordinates to any that you so desire (don't forget to [save] again, if you do). You should also be able to name that particular waypoint upon creation, otherwise the GPSr will assign a name (usually numbers).

Rino: the procedure may be a little different, but simply "mark" your current position and alter name/coordinates as needed. It is the same, except that on earlier Garmins, you usually just scroll up to the coordinates/name and change them w/o going through a menu.

Early Garmin units are very restrictive (short) in the waypoint name field.

So, basically what you are saying is create a waypoint right there where I am standing, and then go in and edit the waypoint information such as the coordinates to be the coordinates of where I am wanting to go. Then, it basically places the waypoint at the place I am wanting to go and it will then help navigate me to get to that point?

Thanks so far.

So, basically what you are saying is create a waypoint right there where I am standing, and then go in and edit the waypoint information such as the coordinates to be the coordinates of where I am wanting to go. Then, it basically places the waypoint at the place I am wanting to go and it will then help navigate me to get to that point?

Thanks so far.

Exactly.

With the Rino, you should be able to push GOTO and it will steer you to your entered coordinates, or if saved, retrieve it from the waypoint list and GOTO (I think the Rino uses a GOTO button :) )

With the GC, you *probably* would need to pick it off of the waypoint list, just as you would a geocache.

The key(s) to creating and using waypoints are NAMING and SAVING. This makes sense, but these things are sometimes overlooked in a rush to git 'er done.

Okay, I don't mean to necro and older thread, and hopefully I will be able to get an answer for this next question before I need to use it tomorrow.

I haven't tried the recommendations above yet, but I was wondering if there is not a way to just put in a "go to" destination procedure. For example, I am standing at point A, and I need to get to point B and I have the coordinates for that. Instead of saving a waypoint for point A, and then go in and edit the coordinates info to be the coordinates for point B, is there a way that I can hit a "go to" option and enter in the coordinates of where I want to go? Sort of like putting in a destination address on a car GPS?

What I am using it for is not caching, and I am just curious if there is a way of getting around saving waypoints. If there isn't, I'll just use the prescribed instructions above. Thanks!

No, it doesn't work as you incorrectly expect it to.

There are several different GPS manufacturers, and they all have several models. There is a procedure that is typical for the overwhelming majority of them.

MARK where you are standing. Nothing is saved yet. What you have is a Coordinate and Waypoint Name (typically something like 001) in volatile memory. You won't remember what 001 is very long. EDIT the name to something lile TRAIL, CABIN, LAKE, PARKING. If you really only wanted to mark the location where you are standing, you are ready. Save it.

If your intention insead was mark some distant location, EDIT the coordinates to the location where you want to go instead of where you are. If the location isn't all that far away, many of the leading digits representing where you are will already be the same as where you want to go. After you are confident you have kept the all digits that already are a match, and changed the ones that didn't, Save them.

Find GO or GOTO. We all had to figure this out as well. It makes sense when you finally figure it out.

No, it doesn't work as you incorrectly expect it to.

There are several different GPS manufacturers, and they all have several models. There is a procedure that is typical for the overwhelming majority of them.

MARK where you are standing. Nothing is saved yet. What you have is a Coordinate and Waypoint Name (typically something like 001) in volatile memory. You won't remember what 001 is very long. EDIT the name to something lile TRAIL, CABIN, LAKE, PARKING. If you really only wanted to mark the location where you are standing, you are ready. Save it.

If your intention insead was mark some distant location, EDIT the coordinates to the location where you want to go instead of where you are. If the location isn't all that far away, many of the leading digits representing where you are will already be the same as where you want to go. After you are confident you have kept the all digits that already are a match, and changed the ones that didn't, Save them.

Find GO or GOTO. We all had to figure this out as well. It makes sense when you finally figure it out.

Okay. Thanks for the extra info. I about to deparat on a multiple day camping trip wiht the family and will try to make use of those sugesstions. I'll post the results when I get baack. Thanks.

The above procedure is correct, but I understand what you're saying....seems like an extra step to have to mark your current location THEN edit those coordinates to the location you want. Seems more like you'd have an option to just "enter coordinates". I found that a little confusing at first too (Garmin Oregon 550). It's a bit counterintuitive.

It would make more sense, I think, to have an option "Enter coordinates" that brings up the edit screen, then have a button there for Use Current Location if that's what you want.

But then again, like Cardinal Red pointed out, if you're within walking distance of the point you want to go to, you'll only have to edit the last two or three digits, probably.

Oh...OK....sussamb just pointed out something....with the Oregon you can in fact just select Where To > Coordinates without having to create a waypoint where you're standing first. The other option would be Mark Waypoint > Save and Edit.

Since most units from the same manufacturer (in this case, Garmin) often use similar software and UI logic, maybe the Rino can also do it that way. Do you have a "Where To" option in your main menu?

I had to go into the other room and get my Oregon to remember how to do this. I hardly ever manually enter coordinates since I mostly use mine for Geocaching and I download all the waypoints through Pocket Queries.

Edited by Chief301

Thanks!

GC: from the Menu > highlight "New Waypoint" > [Enter] > [save] -- this maneuver "marks" your position as a waypoint. You may alter those coordinates to any that you so desire (don't forget to [save] again, if you doo). You should also be able to name that particular waypoint upon creation, otherwise the GPSr will assign a name (usually numbers).

One of the quirks of the GC is that you get different menus depending on what screen you are viewing. From the "Waypoints" list, MENU -> "Add Waypoint" will get you four options: Current Location, Point on Map, Coordinates, and Projection. Gitchee-Gummee's directions are for adding a new waypoint from the "Map" screen. (I am using the 2.15 firmware.)

Thanks everyone. Was able to mess around with both devices extensively this weekend and figured out how to get it done on the Rino (with the procedure above), and will try Gitchee-Gummee's advice for the GC sometime in the coming days. Right now downloading the new software for the GC.