How to get Line spacing, paragraph indent, in cache description?

2B.C.Krew

I'm really hoping someone can help me with the "line spacing" in the cache description. We are relatively new to caching, and have fallen really hard for the game. We go caching as often as possible now, and have recently hidden our first cache. We put A LOT of time and thought into it, like what type of cache, what size, somewhere cool to hide it, and what to write in the description online. It took me awhile to CAREFULLY type in the description, since it's a multi and you have to answer a few questions to get final coordinates. I had tried to double space the coord. questions, and give space between that part and the historical info that went along with the cache. I wanted it to all appear neat on the description to help keep it all in order for whoever was reading it and trying to figure out the clues.

Soooo, was VERY disappointed AND frustrated that when it was published it's all one long paragraph, with no seperation or even the seperate paragraph indents. It looks very sloppy and slightly hard to read even. Now, I did notice while I was typing all that info there was a box on screen with (HTLM??) codes. Does any of that have to do with the formating? I have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE w/ HTLM CODE, but REALLY want to straighten out/ clean up the description of our cache. We worked very hard to make sure our first cache was interesting, fun to find, and that the info in the description was informative as well as interesting.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO MAKE THE (LONG)DESCRIPTION OF OUR CACHE HAVE SPACING BETWEEN THE CLUE QUESTIONS, PARAGRAPHS, AND NEW PARAGRAPH INDENTS.

Thank you SOOOO much for ANY help you could give us....

Unfortunately you need to use HTML codes. First make sure the box is checked. Basic code is really easy. I just Googled HTML code. If I can't find specifically what I want I'll Google it specifically-HTML for pink words for example.

I think there are shortcuts on the create a cache page, but I've never used them. Maybe someone else will chime in about shortcuts.

It's not that difficult, just take your time. Even I can do basic html coding, and if I can do it, trust me, anyone can.

Help Center → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

6.4. HTML In Cache Descriptions

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=79

which gives you the link to the excellent site:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/htmlcodes.html

B.

Hm, the last few I wrote put breaks (paragraphs) where I spaced and double-spaced, but when I edited the listing to add more, I had to do all of that manually. It's not too terrible--the basics are that things need to be in brackets <> and that if you change something like a font, you need an end bracket </>. For example:

<br> makes a new paragraph; <br><br> double spaces it. Use as many as you need to.

<font color="red"> or what have you changes the color; to end it, use </font>.

<font size="4"> or the size of your preference--4 is pretty big--obviously changes the size and needs to be closed with </font>.

You can put those two together... <font size="4" color="red"> and then end with </font>.

So, an example:

Here is my cache.<br><br><font size=4 color="blue">I call it the Cache of the Lake.</font><br><br>But there's no Lady involved.

Would look like:

Here's my cache.

I call it the Cache of the Lake.

But there's no Lady involved.

Others are easier: bold is <b> and then use </b>, strikethrough is <s> and then </s>, italic is <i> and </i>, and so on.

For more than that, I'd say Google it.

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

...I did notice while I was typing all that info there was a box on screen with (HTLM??) codes...

That means the "The descriptions below are in HTML" box is ticked, enabling HTML formatting. Do you have anything fancy in your description, including bold, italic, different font styles or sizes, underline, hyperlinks, or images? If you have none of this, and your description is simply pure text with some spacing in between, you can safely untick that checkbox. Once you untick that box, you can put in your spacing again and it should stick.

However, if you do have any HTML formatting in your description, you'll need to refer to the information provided in the posts above.

Use the HTML guide at Pup Patrol's link. I knew absolutely NOTHING about HTML when I started but that guide made it relatively easy to put together some pretty neat looking cache pages.

Instead of trying to type in all the HTML code, just copy and paste the code you want and simply change the command word within the code, say, change the word RED to BLUE or whatever.

This is possibly way too advanced a question here...

HTML I'm perfectly happy with. Does anyone know if it's possible to use in-line styles on cache pages using css?

I'll leave the question there. Please don't worry if you don't know what an in-line style is or what css is. If you know what they are and know the answer that'd be great. If not I'll get around to taking a look at some point and see if they do.

What has helped me tidy up cache pages, and learn a little HTML along the way is, whenever I see another cache page that has a feature I might use someday (spacing, tables, links, columns, tabs, font, color, etc.), to right-click on the page and inspect the Page Source, scroll down to that particular element and make note of the coding associated with that feature. Some interesting things can be found on the Page Source. ;)

What has helped me tidy up cache pages, and learn a little HTML along the way is, whenever I see another cache page that has a feature I might use someday (spacing, tables, links, columns, tabs, font, color, etc.), to right-click on the page and inspect the Page Source, scroll down to that particular element and make note of the coding associated with that feature. Some interesting things can be found on the Page Source. ;)

Yeah, that works too....I used that technique to put the Louisiana Geocachers banner on my pages.