Obscure question about cache and related hike- IL

contact dermatitis

This is a shot in the dark but here goes. Over a year ago, we went after a cache that was located in a park, on the far side of a creek you need to wade across or tiptoe on rocks depending on dryness (or so it seemed, we couldn't find), the creek was to your left as you walked the trail. Leaving the "public" area, the trail continued for quite a nice hike which featured having to cross two or three streams (yes, you would need Keens or to take your boots off) and also featured the ruins of a small quarry or at least a pile of rocks in the middle of the woods, you actually climbed up some of the rocks to continue on the trail. The topography along the creek was plenty of Starved Rock-like canyon rock, but not nearly as large, plenty of wooded forest as well.

That's all I got! We simply cannot remember where this place was and want to hike it again! It would be Northern Illinois, possibly west or south of Chicago, but not terribly close to Chicago.

Any ideas?

Edited by contact dermatitis

I figured it out after pained recall of surrounding area and distinctive features (grist mill, equestrian trails, etc.). Franklin Creek! Great hike, bring footwear for crossing creeks, or be prepared to go barefoot as we did last time. The barefoot thing is not so much fun. Rocks hurt. Pretty short hike (4 miles maybe?). We can't wait to do it again!

I figured it out after pained recall of surrounding area and distinctive features (grist mill, equestrian trails, etc.). Franklin Creek! Great hike, bring footwear for crossing creeks, or be prepared to go barefoot as we did last time. The barefoot thing is not so much fun. Rocks hurt. Pretty short hike (4 miles maybe?). We can't wait to do it again!

I just walked that preserve a couple of weekends ago. The cache is Coyote Bluff, or somesuch? When I was there, that cache was temporarily disabled, so I didn't go for it, but your description makes it sound like it's worth another drive down there. Definitely go out to Nachusa Grasslands if you go back and haven't been there--it's gorgeous. Nice cache called Bloodstone out there, too.

And there's a new, very tough cache on an old train trellis (now sitting on the ground) near there that you may see I've DNF'd. :)