FIRST Geocache hunt.

If you have a smartphone there are free app . You could try out b4 buying a gps . I like a app called cgeo it is free .The official geocaching app is better But it is $10 !

Hi, I am looking to go on my first Geocache in my area.

Anyone will to show me how things work. I want to try before investing in GPs.

I am up for walking or cycling in local area.

many Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Paul

You can find geocaches without a GPSr.

Using the provided mapping on the website makes it quite easy for urban/suburban finds. Not quite so easy for country or forested finds.

Look for caches that are larger (each page usually provides a size indicator). The tiny ones can be as small as your little fingernail. Not so easy to find when you don't know just what it is that you are looking for. Part of the hiding involves having it hid in plain sight -- camouflage, if you will -- you can look directly at it and not realize that it is a cache.

The larger ones tend to be an obvious container of sorts. The smaller ones may not initially appear to be a container at all!

Pay attention to the D (Difficulty level). 1 or 2 means that it (should) be relatively easy. Avoid trying for higher levels, for now.

The T rating (Terrain) has little to do with one's ability to find the cache.

Read the hint and the previous logs (they sometimes contain clues -- we call these "spoilers").

Do realize that not having a GPSr puts you at a disadvantage, but it is not a disadvantage that should make or break your abilities to find at least some of the caches.

Keep in mind that the caches are hidden so that everyday passers-by don't notice them.

Good luck and above all else, just have fun!

If you have a smartphone there are free app . You could try out b4 buying a gps . I like a app called cgeo it is free .The official geocaching app is better But it is $10 !

Hi, I am looking to go on my first Geocache in my area.

Anyone will to show me how things work. I want to try before investing in GPs.

I am up for walking or cycling in local area.

many Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Paul

Hi, Got an ap on my ipad but no gps or smartphone do not want smart phone. many Thanks

Paul

You can find geocaches without a GPSr.

Using the provided mapping on the website makes it quite easy for urban/suburban finds. Not quite so easy for country or forested finds.

Look for caches that are larger (each page usually provides a size indicator). The tiny ones can be as small as your little fingernail. Not so easy to find when you don't know just what it is that you are looking for. Part of the hiding involves having it hid in plain sight -- camouflage, if you will -- you can look directly at it and not realize that it is a cache.

The larger ones tend to be an obvious container of sorts. The smaller ones may not initially appear to be a container at all!

Pay attention to the D (Difficulty level). 1 or 2 means that it (should) be relatively easy. Avoid trying for higher levels, for now.

The T rating (Terrain) has little to do with one's ability to find the cache.

Read the hint and the previous logs (they sometimes contain clues -- we call these "spoilers").

Do realize that not having a GPSr puts you at a disadvantage, but it is not a disadvantage that should make or break your abilities to find at least some of the caches.

Keep in mind that the caches are hidden so that everyday passers-by don't notice them.

Good luck and above all else, just have fun!

Thank you . I am hoping to have fun and meet new people to go with.