Geoacaching app can it be used on non smart phones?

tweetiepy

How useful is the geocaching app on a phone (and can it be loaded on a "non-Iphone"?).

I've been biking in to work lately and I've had more than my share of mishaps so far so I was thinking of getting a cell of some sort. Now I heard that it's getting harder to find non-smart phones so I figure mine might have the ability to have the geocaching app laoded on it.

Now I have a Magellen 310 and the compass goes wild or stops if you're not moving fast enough or stopped. I think it's something to do with it not having an electronic compass.

How good is this compass on the app? To use in conjunction with the GPS or as backup in wooded areas. And is this loadable on all phones that have the service available? Does it need wi-fi or 3G service? Hubby has a touch screen on his phone but he needs it for work.

Can the app be loaded on any type of phone or just the iphones?

Using an app from Itunes(for Iphone/Ipod) or Google store(Android phones) is like putting a DVD in a VCR-it just won't work. These app are designed for a specific operating system. I don't even think you can access the respective app stores from phones that don't use those operating systems.

Plus a non-smartphone (far as I know) will not be viable to load geocaches form online, as most people won't have a data plan(it could cost hundreds of dollars if you don't have a plan)

The compass going weird when you move slow is nomal. You should have a general idea where the cache is, and only use the GPSr as reference until you get close-lets say within 10m. You don't need to be jogging, a steady walk will do. Then you start looking. If it says the cache is magnetic, then look where a magnet could stick. The GPSr will only get you close to the co-ords, not to the cache. And then there's always the chance that the hiders GPSr was off, or the previous finder didn't put it back in the right spot.

And just to say-things like the type of compass are things you should have researched before you spent a decent amount of money on your GPSr.

How useful is the geocaching app on a phone (and can it be loaded on a "non-Iphone"?).

I've been biking in to work lately and I've had more than my share of mishaps so far so I was thinking of getting a cell of some sort. Now I heard that it's getting harder to find non-smart phones so I figure mine might have the ability to have the geocaching app laoded on it.

Now I have a Magellen 310 and the compass goes wild or stops if you're not moving fast enough or stopped. I think it's something to do with it not having an electronic compass.

How good is this compass on the app? To use in conjunction with the GPS or as backup in wooded areas. And is this loadable on all phones that have the service available? Does it need wi-fi or 3G service? Hubby has a touch screen on his phone but he needs it for work.

Can the app be loaded on any type of phone or just the iphones?

The Casio Brigade is a flip phone that is not a smart phone but can use a geocaching app, geocache navigator. So yes you can geocache witha phone that is not a smart phone. I used several apps on that phone for two years and never had an issue.