Facetwit

HH

As for Facebook, the required personal info (and the vast array of permissions, sharing options, and security options) was different for three of the four accounts our family has set up. Further, those options have changed (EULA) many times (not always to the betterment of users) over the course of time.

I have a FB account for the sole purpose of communicating with our local geocaching group. Very little technical or other discussion happens there other than event organization and the odd update.

Frankly, in forums I like moderation and the benefits of "moderation" outweigh the detriments IMHO. Participating in both moderated and unmodulated forums, generally the moderated forums are more active, more informational, more pleasant, and allow a lot less spam. "We can agree to disagree without being disagreeable" seems to be the standard in moderation. I find it does not restrict free speech as much as it restricts the "freedom" to be disagreeable, which is something I any many others don't need exercise at ;-).

The one niggle is those "names-which-shall-not-be-mentioned" as I always perceive it as some form of inferiority complex on Groundspeaks part that they address with protectionism rather than being forthright and compete with it straight up.

HH

As for Facebook, the required personal info (and the vast array of permissions, sharing options, and security options) was different for three of the four accounts our family has set up. Further, those options have changed (EULA) many times (not always to the betterment of users) over the course of time.

Well, the proof is in the pudding. Here's my profile...see how much useful personal info I've been forced to add...

HH Facebook profile