What does it mean when you can put someone else's TB in your collection?

TC+12

So I went to post a note on a TB page today for a Travel Bug that wasn't mine, and I realized that there was the option to move it to my collection! I've never seen this before except with my own TB's so I always assumed that you could only move your own TB's to your collection for like if you have your own Activated Geocoins that you don't want to have to mess with in you inventory all the time. I know why it happens, because the owner marked it as collectible, but what is the purpose? Why move someone else's TB to your collection? What purpose does it serve? Is it like saying that you are keeping it for yourself even though the other person still owns it? I mean I just don't understand what the function of being able to do this is. Can someone explain this to me??

Thanks! :)

Is it like saying that you are keeping it for yourself even though the other person still owns it?

Yes, that's one reason. If you have all but one of a series of coins in your collection, the Coin's Owner may mark his "collectible", and you then add it to your collection, to complete the set, for visiting Events or whatever. In that case, it's like having the coin on loan to a museum -- the owner still owns it, you keep it in your collection until returning it to the CO.

There are some coins that specify you may keep them as long as you like, just that you can't sell them. Those may also be marked collectible. The coins remain owned by the CO, and are to be always logged properly.

You should check the coin's page. If there's nothing on the coin's page about adding it to collections, the CO probably doesn't understand what the option is for. You could PM them and suggest they mark it "Not Collectible", which is the ideal choice for a Trackable intended to go from cache to cache.

Edited by kunarion
Is it like saying that you are keeping it for yourself even though the other person still owns it?

Yes, that's one reason. If you have all but one of a series of coins in your collection, the Coin's Owner may mark his "collectible", and you then add it to your collection, to complete the set, for visiting Events or whatever. In that case, it's like having the coin on loan to a museum -- the owner still owns it, you keep it in your collection until returning it to the CO.

There are some coins that specify you may keep them as long as you like, just that you can't sell them. Those may also be marked collectible. The coins remain owned by the CO, and are to be always logged properly.

You should check the coin's page. If there's nothing on the coin's page about adding it to collections, the CO probably doesn't understand what the option is for. You could PM them and suggest they mark it "Not Collectible", which is the ideal choice for a Trackable intended to go from cache to cache.

Oh okay, I didn't know that! Thanks! :)