Advertisement - though premium member?

border_collie

Hi there,

I don't seem to grasp something. Maybe I just didn't discover a button for my request.

All the time I see advertisement on various geocaching subsites, although I'm a premium member and have paid my fee for all services.

Some of the ads are even moving, which is quite annoying to me.

Please tell me:

- Did I overlook something?

- Aren't you annoyed as well?

- Are you, like me, also using adBlock to get rid of them?

Greetings from Switzerland

border_collie

Edited by border_collie

No need to sorry. I was just pointing to another similar topic. It's normal that, between thousands of topics, we "dnf" the one we're searching for. :)

About Ads in the pages you pointed, I issued a log in one of my caches and the only advertising I found , before and after the log, was the "Advertising with Us" from Groundspeak. Was this Ads the ones You were referring to? :laughing:

I get the "advertising with us" adverts as well.

I'm a premium member too so are you saying that we shouldn't get any of these?

I would rather there weren't any adverts but until a month ago they have usually been geocaching related or quite harmless

A random selection just now "geocaching with the ipod", "the national trust", "geotours", "geocaching for android"

However I've recently started noticing that some very odd ones appear every so often (not all the time just a small percentage of the time)

For example there's one that just consists of a "download" button. It seems to be a company called Zoomdownloader.

I obviously havent tried it but google them and you'll find people complaining that its a nasty virus thats hard to get rid of.

Why is Geocaching.com dealing with people such as these?

Why is Geocaching.com dealing with people such as these?

They do advertise geocaching related things, such as their own shop, and LAndsharkz(A cachign supply website) But a lot of what is happening has nothing to do with geocaching. It's something on your computer or browser, adware or something like that. I've had it when I had to use a different computer and haven't seen it since I got back on mine...

And I don't think most websites will use specific ads. They will use Google's advertisement service. That is Google tracks what you search and uses that to do targeted ads. SO if you search for geocaching stuff you might get caching related ads. If you search RC helicopters, you might get ads for hobby sites. The thing is some other ad services (the SPAM ones) try this and fail so you get all sorts of weird things popping up.

Edited by T.D.M.22