geomate jr

My first GPS was a geo-mate jr. It worked fine for a while. Then I updated it using the update kit, went to Seattle, came back and was unable to update it again because the company had closed down and was not allowing anymore updates. I'm not sure when they started back up. I'm much happier with a slightly more expensive Magellan eXplorist GC. The one problem with the Geo-Mate jr. is that once you're at or near GZ, it will get confused and jump 80 feet in all directions. It's really hard to find caches with it since it offers no clues or description.

The Geo-mate jr. was around 60$ and I got the eXplorist for 120$ off of Amazon. The eXplorist GC relatively cheap for a GPS that will last years. I've had mine for two years and I have no complaints.

I bought a Geomate Jr for my grandson. He's used it a couple times (Hasn't show much interest in Geocaching), but it seemed to work pretty well as a beginner unit.

I did buy the upgrade kit and was able to find and download an offline app for loading pocket queries, very useful after the company closed down.

The local Geocaching club I belong to bought two Geomate Jr units to have available at our events for use by new cachers etc. We have had mixed reviews on them. Most experienced cachers don't care for them because they are very simplistic, but new cachers seem to like them for that very reason.

The Geomate Jr was intended for kids and are fine as a cheap way to get into the hobby but I would think most people would soon be looking for something with more bells and whistles if they stay in the hobby.