GPS used in Japan

grlpdr70

I will be taking a trip to Japan in October and will try to do geocaching while I'm there. I have a Garmin GPSmap 62s that takes a 24K topo data card for greater topographic data than the Wold Wide base map does. Does anyone know of a third party that sells this type of software for a Garmin?

Garmin has data cards for just about every place but Japan.

I will be taking a trip to Japan in October and will try to do geocaching while I'm there. I have a Garmin GPSmap 62s that takes a 24K topo data card for greater topographic data than the Wold Wide base map does. Does anyone know of a third party that sells this type of software for a Garmin?

Take a look at the Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices from OpenStreetMaps (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/). That's what I used during a 6 hour layover in Tokyo and have used also used these maps on my Garmin GPS in selected areas of Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, Costa Rica, Tanzania, and in Beijing, Montpellier (France), and Barcelona. The only maps I've purchased for my Garmin Oregon 450 (which I bought for my old Garmin 76Cx) were the topo maps on DVD for the U.S. You'll probably have to get a separate micro-SD card (they're pretty inexpensive) for loading other maps and just swapping it for the 24K topo data card before you travel.

Take a look at the Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices from OpenStreetMaps (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/). That's what I used during a 6 hour layover in Tokyo and have used also used these maps on my Garmin GPS in selected areas of Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, Costa Rica, Tanzania, and in Beijing, Montpellier (France), and Barcelona. The only maps I've purchased for my Garmin Oregon 450 (which I bought for my old Garmin 76Cx) were the topo maps on DVD for the U.S. You'll probably have to get a separate micro-SD card (they're pretty inexpensive) for loading other maps and just swapping it for the 24K topo data card before you travel.

Were those routable?

I ended up buying the UUD street maps, it looks like they have topo as well.

Were those routable?

I ended up buying the UUD street maps, it looks like they have topo as well.

Theoretically the openstreetmaps for Garmin are routable but I haven't tried using the routing information for them. The UUD street maps look good but considering I was only in the country for 6 hours and didn't travel more than 10 miles from the airport the OSM maps for that regions were find.