Geocaching/Orienteering

i've gotten tentative approval from the local orienteering club to set up a GPS/geocache course at an upcoming event (NEOOC - NorthEast Ohio Orienteering Club), and I'm wondering what the interest level is amongst the geocaching community for this type of event.

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

[This is an identical post to another (related) thread.]

The Chicago Area Orienteering Club just held an event which integrated geocaching and orienteering.

The geocachers downloaded the coordinates to the same 22 controls that the orienteers were looking for. Only, instead of a map with the control locations pre-marked, the geocachers just received a blank map of the park, and a list of the control descriptions (including code numbers / waypoints).

It was a 6-hour ROGAINE, so everyone had 6 hours to get to as many of the locations as they could. The orienteers (as might be expected) tended to go faster and, therefore, collected a greater number of controls. None the less, the geocachers had a lot of fun figuring out the best way to get from point to point, while watching the orienteers dash through every now and then.

Snowgaine results

The terrain at the meet location was very challenging to both orienteers and geocachers. We plan to hold at least one more combination event in 2003.

The next event will likely involve loop courses, not scattered controls. So, the course will basically be a multi-cache with all of the locations specified ahead of time. The difference is that you can only log a multi-cache once; you can log a o-cache once per control that you find. Also, the controls are almost ridiculously easy to find for a geocacher: you can't miss an orange-and-white nylon bag hanging three feet of off the ground.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54531

to get the 4th marker you had to accurately plot the points on the map and draw straight lines from point to point in sequence and where they crossed was the 4th point which gave you more instructions to get the rest.

We ran out of time, but it was still Lots of fun.

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.

The 2003 Texas State Geocaching Extravaganza will be a 2-day combo orienteering/geocaching event March 29-30 in North Texas. In addition to 6 standard O courses, we'll have a hybrid O/Geocaching course and a GPSr-only timed multi-cache. Plus, the night-O will have a GPSr division, and will be a cross between a score-O, a multi-cache, and a game of "Clue." Additionally, I'll be hiding 15-20 caches which will have o-maps available for orienteers who don't have a GPSr.

This will be a truly integrated orienteering/geocaching event.

web-lingbutton.gif