delorme earthmate pn-20 PQ question

cache_cpl

Hi folks, I have a question regarding the Delorme Earthmate PN-20. I know it's an older GPS but it works great for us. Ok, my main question is.. Is there a way i can have it load more than 900 Caches? I have a memory card in it, can that be used? it's just a pain when we're out of the area and I don't have any caches loaded for that area. I know newer models support more caches, but they are out of my price range at the moment.. Any help or ideas would be great..

Thanks, Don

We use a '40, but I have no experience with a '20 (but I did just read the online manual, and stayed a Holiday Inn Express...). :D

You should be able to use the card as well as the internal memory -- we do on the '40.

The manual doesn't specifically address geocaches, just waypoints. It does however, show icons for found/not found geocaches.

But... I must toss up something that we see as obvious -- some don't. Why do you feel compelled to keep 900 caches loaded on the unit?

Because cache data changes constantly, we are always loading new data. We NEVER keep any loaded that is more than two weeks old.

Most every outing a new batch of data is loaded via Pocket Query. It's a bummer to spend two hours looking for and not finding a cache, later to find out that it has been disabled or archived -- not knowing, because the data you have is stale.

Fresh data is good, stale data is bad...

If you do not have the full manual, it is an easy download here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.delorme.com%2Fmanuals%2FPN20Manual.pdf&ei=cs0sUZ-gJoabyQHjzoGQDw&usg=AFQjCNHZoMIwVbvcji-sIGXmzDCYHZzZOA&bvm=bv.42965579,d.aWc&cad=rja

Hope it helps, though. :)

We use a '40, but I have no experience with a '20 (but I did just read the online manual, and stayed a Holiday Inn Express...). :D

You should be able to use the card as well as the internal memory -- we do on the '40.

The manual doesn't specifically address geocaches, just waypoints. It does however, show icons for found/not found geocaches.

But... I must toss up something that we see as obvious -- some don't. Why do you feel compelled to keep 900 caches loaded on the unit?

Because cache data changes constantly, we are always loading new data. We NEVER keep any loaded that is more than two weeks old.

Most every outing a new batch of data is loaded via Pocket Query. It's a bummer to spend two hours looking for and not finding a cache, later to find out that it has been disabled or archived -- not knowing, because the data you have is stale.

Fresh data is good, stale data is bad...

If you do not have the full manual, it is an easy download here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.delorme.com%2Fmanuals%2FPN20Manual.pdf&ei=cs0sUZ-gJoabyQHjzoGQDw&usg=AFQjCNHZoMIwVbvcji-sIGXmzDCYHZzZOA&bvm=bv.42965579,d.aWc&cad=rja

Hope it helps, though. :)

I do load a fresh PQ once a week to keep it updated. I'd like to add more because i travel around my state quite a bit. when we're out of the area i'm out of luck. Maybe i'll have to get a newer GPS that supports more. I live in NY and there are tons of caches, 1000 only covers so much of an area. My best bet probably would be to divide the state in to Zones and set up PQ's for each zone. and once a week download them to a laptop, that way I could update depending on which Zone i'm in. More work, until i get a Newer GPS that supports more. I thought someone else may have had the same issue.

Cache data on the PN-20 must be stored on the internal memory, so there is no way to get more than 1000 on it. 1000 is the total number of waypoints+geocaches, so realistically, you can only get less than 1000 as you need room for child waypoints and other waypoints you grab on the field. The idea of creating zones is a good one. That is basically what I did when I had my PN-20. Also carried around a netbook so if I ended up in an area I had not originally planned, I could stop by a Starbucks or McDonalds and use the wifi to download more PQs.

Cache data on the PN-20 must be stored on the internal memory, so there is no way to get more than 1000 on it. 1000 is the total number of waypoints+geocaches, so realistically, you can only get less than 1000 as you need room for child waypoints and other waypoints you grab on the field. The idea of creating zones is a good one. That is basically what I did when I had my PN-20. Also carried around a netbook so if I ended up in an area I had not originally planned, I could stop by a Starbucks or McDonalds and use the wifi to download more PQs.

I kinda figured that. I'll just set up the zones and download to my laptop once a week. I too usually end in an area i hadn't planned on and miss out on some caches. we're just starting out Geocaching and we like to make things as easy as possible. Thanks for the input :)

Cache data on the PN-20 must be stored on the internal memory, so there is no way to get more than 1000 on it. 1000 is the total number of waypoints+geocaches, so realistically, you can only get less than 1000 as you need room for child waypoints and other waypoints you grab on the field. The idea of creating zones is a good one.

This is the the limitation you are running into. Our PN-60 allows up to 1500 waypoints per file but is otherwise the same as yours.

In order to always have caches available to us, we installed a 16GB memory card and store our GPX files there. Using GSAK we have created a separate file for every county (or multiples for larger counties) in Washington and Oregon. At any given time we have a pool of about 60,000 Geocaches, Waymarks and Benchmarks available to us. We'll update those files as needed when we are planning to travel but even if we forget they are there for us.

Edited by CoolCowCachers

Cache data on the PN-20 must be stored on the internal memory, so there is no way to get more than 1000 on it. 1000 is the total number of waypoints+geocaches, so realistically, you can only get less than 1000 as you need room for child waypoints and other waypoints you grab on the field. The idea of creating zones is a good one.

This is the the limitation you are running into. Our PN-60 allows up to 1500 waypoints per file but is otherwise the same as yours.

In order to always have caches available to us, we installed a 16GB memory card and store our GPX files there. Using GSAK we have created a separate file for every county (or multiples for larger counties) in Washington and Oregon. At any given time we have a pool of about 60,000 Geocaches, Waymarks and Benchmarks available to us. We'll update those files as needed when we are planning to travel but even if we forget they are there for us.

I have both the PN-20 and PN-60 and I can tell you they are worlds apart. First, the PN-20 does not directly support .gpx files. They must be imported using Topo USA, GSAK, or Cache Register V1.0 (PN-20 is not compatible with V2.0) there are not multiple waypoint files on the PN-20 like there is on the PN-60, so when you reach your 1000 waypoint limit, that is it even if you still have space. The SD card is only useful for saving maps and tracks. Putting the .gpx file on the SD card will do nothing for you. The PN-20 is still a good little unit, I found many a cache before upgrading to my PN-60.