Geocaching in Russia

-CJ-

Please also keep in mind that you're visiting a country where human rights aren't much valued by the government/police and public protests aren't tolerated. I would love to keep politics away from geocaching totally but now it's about your safety so please be careful. In the days of world football cup they will bring even more police officers to Moscow and other big cities. Most possible they will ban any public actions for this period (they already issued such regulations).

Spent half of the day with a nice lady from the US who visited Moscow. We started early on Sunday morning and drove to different geocaches and places to see nice and unusual streetart, some funny architecture, and old Russian house "izba", a manor where Leo Tolstoy lived, a couple of parks, and little bronze ducklings near Novodevichy Monastery. The weather could be better but luckily it wasn't raining much. Found some caches, replaced a couple of missing hides.

Well, perhaps I'm the only Russian cacher who's active at this particular forum. It's sad that this thread is not really known by those coming to Russia; the vast majority of visitors go geocaching on their own here. Folks, don't hesitate calling/writing if you're going to visit Moscow.

Galince, thanks, I believe we can make something of your idea once :)

As in many other countries we have our regional policies, sort of "add-ons" to the Guidelines of the game. Most of you who come to our country will probably place no caches but some people do if they have someone here in the country who can maintain their hides. The regional policies for Russia are here:

https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Russia

Since they are in Russian language only, I summarized them here in English.

Areas with limited access: YES (+ recommendations)
Areas with paid services: YES (+ conditions)
National parks: YES (and strictly following the local rules)
Nature conservations: NO
Historical sites: YES (with "no harm" rule)
Containers in old stone walls: NO
Cemeteries: YES (+ limitations)
Small pedestrian bridges: YES
Other bridges: ONLY areas of general pedestrian access (e.g. passages and railings)
Schools, playgrounds and other objects/areas accosiated with kids: NO
Territories controlled by police, border guards, security services, other guards (e.g. foreign embassies): NO
Construction sites: NO
Electrical switchboards: NO

• Helpful 1

Доброго дня всем! 

Смотрю у нас в стране не особо развита игра! Активность вообще мизерная. Не совсем владею английским, по этому разобраться не совсем легко. Я правильно понял, создавать тайники может Любой игрок, не зависимо, находил ли он до этого тайники других игроков?

On 11/5/2018 at 9:27 AM, Jin1 said:

Доброго дня всем! 

Смотрю у нас в стране не особо развита игра! Активность вообще мизерная. Не совсем владею английским, по этому разобраться не совсем легко. Я правильно понял, создавать тайники может Любой игрок, не зависимо, находил ли он до этого тайники других игроков?

Да. Хотя правила рекомендуют сначала набить руку в поиске тайников, а потом создавать свои, это не жесткое условие. В общем, понятно, что во многих регионах России просто физически нет возможности что-то искать.

Good evening,

in the first week of December 2019 I will travel to Novosibirsk. A big city with 2 caches - and the one at the mainstation is disabled.

What's about caching in Russia? It will no problem for me to place a new cache... but can i get problems with police, kgb, militia, something else?

And if I place a cache as tourist - in which way i dcan find a resident for services?

Claus

Edited by Diceman_2

My husband and I are traveling to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia and we were heartbroken to see that geocaching.com had nothing available to discover in the city. After some research (including finding your discussion thread in this forum), we discovered that a fair number of geocaches actually do exist in this location and many others locations throughout Russia but they are only available through a different website - www.geocaching.su.

Curious as to the reasons why Russian cachers don't wish to post there geocaches on geocaching.com as well? While I can respect the difference in language, many other countries post geocaches in multiple languages. But perhaps there is another reason?

Thank you for your consideration.