Sharing Tracking Numbers

LionsLair

I'm going to get on my soapbox a minute and get something off my chest that really gripes my tail...

...sharing tracking numbers with others through social media and email...

Now I agree geocaching has something different for everyone and we all play the game differently.

I really don't care what others do with their trackables. They bought them, they are theirs and if they want to risk having their trackables locked by Groundspeak by sharing them on social media sites like facebook or twitter, or where ever they please, that's their business. I don't agree with it and have never logged anyone's or shared mine through this manner. I constantly see tracking numbers being shared on a daily basis by some. If they want to log bogus trackable finds, or have others log their trackables that way, again not my concern, and I could care less.

What does concern me though and does effect me is when my personal tracking numbers are being shared by someone that saw them at an event or wherever, and then decides to share them with others in this manner. I have recently had two trackables get several bogus logs by cachers that claim to have saw it but never did.

One said "cool tat, saw it on facebook" Another said " thanks for sharing this lion icon on fb" ...others are simply "discovered" , or "thanks for sharing"

Now I know for a fact I've never posted them there, and if I do/did I've always edited the tracking number out of the pics. Now I'm having to go through and see if the cachers that do discover these trackables have even remotely been anywhere near or attended an event I may have been at. I've deleted logs from several that have never been within 1000 miles of me the past week or so...

I shouldn't have to police my trackables in this manner and delete bogus discoveries.

While I realize there is little I can do to stop the practice of sharing tracking numbers with others. If I don't say anything at all, this will become the norm for more abuse and the practice will continue.

Do what you want with your tracking numbers, but please leave me and mine out of you unethical practices and don't continue to post tracking numbers that don't belong to you!

:mad: :mad: :mad: I feel violated! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ok, I said my piece.... I'll get off my soapbox now...

I'm going to get on my soapbox a minute and get something off my chest that really gripes my tail...

...sharing tracking numbers with others through social media and email...

Now I agree geocaching has something different for everyone and we all play the game differently.

I really don't care what others do with their trackables. They bought them, they are theirs and if they want to risk having their trackables locked by Groundspeak by sharing them on social media sites like facebook or twitter, or where ever they please, that's their business. I don't agree with it and have never logged anyone's or shared mine through this manner. I constantly see tracking numbers being shared on a daily basis by some. If they want to log bogus trackable finds, or have others log their trackables that way, again not my concern, and I could care less.

What does concern me though and does effect me is when my personal tracking numbers are being shared by someone that saw them at an event or wherever, and then decides to share them with others in this manner. I have recently had two trackables get several bogus logs by cachers that claim to have saw it but never did.

One said "cool tat, saw it on facebook" Another said " thanks for sharing this lion icon on fb" ...others are simply "discovered" , or "thanks for sharing"

Now I know for a fact I've never posted them there, and if I do/did I've always edited the tracking number out of the pics. Now I'm having to go through and see if the cachers that do discover these trackables have even remotely been anywhere near or attended an event I may have been at. I've deleted logs from several that have never been within 1000 miles of me the past week or so...

I shouldn't have to police my trackables in this manner and delete bogus discoveries.

While I realize there is little I can do to stop the practice of sharing tracking numbers with others. If I don't say anything at all, this will become the norm for more abuse and the practice will continue.

Do what you want with your tracking numbers, but please leave me and mine out of you unethical practices and don't continue to post tracking numbers that don't belong to you!

:mad: :mad: :mad: I feel violated! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ok, I said my piece.... I'll get off my soapbox now...

Can't disagree, but the activity is too big to police. It's gonna happen and no amount of ranting or proactive educating is gonna make a difference. :(

I ran into a 10+ page paper list of tracking numbers at an event about 7 years ago. It was somewhat repulsive then and I am sure it continues today. Really no different than some of the large notebooks filled with coins and other trackables that folks pass around in certain circles. I have never really understood in the least "discovering" something in that fashion.