Magellan eXplorist 110

iwtbigrn

I've been having a lot of trouble using this GPS! I'm new to geocaching, too. I'm used to using the iphone app, which uses the compass to point in the direction, but i dont believe the Magellan works in the same way. It has a compass, but I can't figure out which arrow is pointing in the direction of the cache! I've looked though many manuals to try and figure this problem out, but with no luck. So, I've been using the map screen. I know that when i'm on the right track the arrow is green, and when I'm off track it turns red, (i think?), but sometimes the arrow completely spins and turns different colors even when I think I'm going in the right direction! Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks!

I believe with that model you need to be moving in order for the compass to show direction.

Standing still (or moving really slow) doesn't cut it.

Thanks! I think that will help, but do you know anything about why the arrow sometimes turns red, and why the arrow sometimes points in away from the path?

I believe with that model you need to be moving in order for the compass to show direction.

Thanks! I think that will help, but do you know anything about why the arrow sometimes turns red, and why the arrow sometimes points in away from the path?

The compass on the map view, or the compass on what they refer to as the Dashboard?

The compass on the map view, or the compass on what they refer to as the Dashboard?

Well, I guess i was referring to the single arrow on the map that point toward the cache (in my latest post). But about the compasses, is the dashboard supposed to point in the direction of the cache, or does the one that can be seen on the map point towards the cache, or both?

While we don't have/use a Magellan, something like this usually means that you do not have good satellite reception.

As it is calculating your direction of travel utilizing the sat signal(s), the loss of one or more satellite could affect its' readings... they usually indicate when they have "less than ample" signal.

Note -- your body can block a signal or two, if you are always holding it tight in to your body or hoovering your face directly over it.

While we don't have/use a Magellan, something like this usually means that you do not have good satellite reception.

As it is calculating your direction of travel utilizing the sat signal(s), the loss of one or more satellite could affect its' readings... they usually indicate when they have "less than ample" signal.

Note -- your body can block a signal or two, if you are always holding it tight in to your body or hoovering your face directly over it.

Okay that's good to know! Thanks for the help.

Well, I guess i was referring to the single arrow on the map that point toward the cache (in my latest post). But about the compasses, is the dashboard supposed to point in the direction of the cache, or does the one that can be seen on the map point towards the cache, or both?

Sorry for the delay! Yes, both should point in the direction of the cache, but only while you're moving, with this, a $120 low-end unit. This is because it has a differential compass, not an electronic compass. No big deal to many people, I've been rolling with differential compasses for almost 10 years now. :lol:

All assuming you're navigating to the cache. I'll go over that to be sure. When you hit enter (push in the joystick) for a specific cache in the list, you can either click the joystick left or right (shortcut), or hit the menu button on the unit, and "Go To" should be one of the choices that pop up. Well, it's "Go To" on the new Explorist GC Software, it might be "Navigate" or something similar on the 110.

I do vaguely remember the arrow on the map view changing colors on occasion, but heck if I know what that means. :(

On my Magellan Explorist GC (the green one) when the arrow turns red it means you are heading in the wrong direction. Blue means you are heading the right direction.

On the map view only? I've never seen this on the dashboard compass. Then again, I'm (usually) going in the right direction. :laughing:

EDIT: Yeah, I purposely went out of my way to see it on the dashboard today. I am totally em-bare-assed that I never noticed it before, :laughing:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

The arrow is called a "smart arrow":

Green-you're heading in the right direction

Yellow-some what right

Red- Opposite direction

Blue-you're not moving.

You know, not a single person has quoted me. I can edit all my posts, and elimate any reference to the embarrasment of not knowing about the smart arrow. :laughing: I will blame this on being 50 in a few months, and I can barely see the friggin' thing as it is.

Anyways, thanks for the proper name of the feature, and here is the Smart arrow page at Magellan Support