Pocket query found status

Keiko's buddies

I would like to build a pocket query for instruction purposes that shows all geocaches as "unfound". If I use my account to generate this pocket query I get output that shows a mix of my found and unfound caches. Is this possible?

I have tried to load a mixed found/unfound query into GSAK and converting all found to unfound then exporting the gpx file to my Colorado 300. Somehow the geocaches still show up as found (open treasure chests)

I'm sure there must e a simple way I just haven't found it yet!

Edited by Keiko's buddies

What happens if you load the data back again, from your GPSr into GSAK? Does the status of the caches show as found? This will let you know if the GPSr is the culprit.

Is the cache information for your finds already in the GPSr? If so, you might consider erasing all the information in it (after doing a backup) and loading the fresh database from GSAK into it.

In the pocket query setup form You can select the option "That... I haven't found" or, You can select an area where You haven't found any cache yet.

With one of this ways, You have a fresh new PQ where all caches are unfound.

Hope this helps.

If I read the OP correctly, it sounds like they want to include caches that they have already found so they can demonstrate geocaching. For the purposes of the demonstration, they want the caches to appear to be unfound so they mark them as such in GSAK. When they load this information into their Colorado, it is showing them as found.

Have I got that right?

I have tried to load a mixed found/unfound query into GSAK and converting all found to unfound then exporting the gpx file to my Colorado 300. Somehow the geocaches still show up as found (open treasure chests)

There are two things you could try:

1. I believe if GSAK still holds a "Found it" log by you on a cache, it will treat it as a found cache in some cases, even if you've changed its status to unfound. You could try deleting your own "Found it" logs from those caches to see if that does it.

2. Another possibility is that it's the GPSr treating the caches as found. If you marked the caches as found in the GPSr when you originally found them, there will be a text file on there containing your field notes. It could be that when the GPSr starts up, it checks the caches you've loaded against this list of caches you've found, and marks them accordingly. You could try deleting this file. It's called "geocaching_visits.txt" and resides in the [Garmin drive:]\Garmin folder.

You could try deleting the file called "geocache_visits.txt" that resides in the [Garmin drive:]\Garmin folder.

I believe this is the most likely culprit. I am not a GSAK user yet. Still thinking about trying it. I sometimes use EasyGPS (FREE - DOWNLOAD HERE) or more often ExpertGPS (PAY VERSION). EasyGPS allows you to enter your Geocaching user name into your preferences or to edit it out if it has already been entered. The absence of a Geocaching user name for a NON Paperless GPS (GPSmap 60csx for example)is sufficient to have ALL caches show up as UNFOUND regardless of their actual status. On a Paperless unit (Oregon 450t for example) anything that has ever been marked as found ON THE UNIT will show up in the found caches list unless the entry in the "geocache_visits.txt" file is cleared or deleted just like The A-Team said. This will probably solve your problem when using GSAK. But if it doesn't, download and try EastGPS with NO GEOCACHING USER NAME ENTERED and with that file deleted. Remember to first save a copy of the file if you ever want your current personal found data back in the GPS.

I would like to build a pocket query for instruction purposes that shows all geocaches as "unfound". If I use my account to generate this pocket query I get output that shows a mix of my found and unfound caches. Is this possible?

I'm sure there must e a simple way I just haven't found it yet!

1. filter on found caches

2. do a "global replace" on "symbol name" and set it to "Geocache".

The Garmin unit uses the symbol name for detecting if a cache's status is found or unfound.

Forget anything other posters wrote about geocache_visits.txtx. This file is NEVER used from the unit's firmware (except the Montana's calendar app).

Frohes Jagen

Hans

[...] It could be that when the GPSr starts up, it checks the caches you've loaded against this list of caches you've found[...]

The unit doesn't do that. The cache's found/unfound status is written into an unit's internal database.

Hans

While I'm 100% positive my Oregon has at one time used the field note file as I described, I just did some testing and it no longer does so, and I think HHL is correct. If you've logged a cache as found online, then download the GPX file for that cache, the symbol name will have been changed from "Geocache" to "Geocache Found".

However, it still isn't clear how the GPS keeps track of a cache's status while out in the field. I did the following test:

-Loaded an unfound cache into my GPS

-Started it up, selected the cache, and marked it as found. The cache now shows up under "Show found"

-Plugged it back in, deleted the cache from the GPS, then re-downloaded it from the website where it is still unfound

-Started it up, and the cache is now shown as unfound and doesn't appear under "Show found"

Since the only file I touched in this process is the GPX file for the cache, you'd think the GPS was writing something to that GPX to record the found status. However, when doing a file comparison between the versions before and after marking the cache as found in the GPS, the only difference is the <time> field. The <sym> field is untouched. The GPS must be recording the status elsewhere in the file system, but it's unclear where and how.

HHL's solution worked perfectly.....Thanks!

To clarify what I needed was:

I needed a pocket query gpx file of our local geocaching area that shows all geocaches as unfound. Our geocaching club gives seminars to new geocachers and we need a local gpx file with all caches marked as "Unfound" for obvious reasons. It would be great if the pocket query generator at geocaching.com had a way to do this but I don't think so. Any output my account produces will always have caches marked as found or unfound, depending on the status. I can filter all the found ones out but that would produce an incomplete list.

So I imported a complete list into GSAK then followed HHL's method:

------------------------------------

1. filter on found caches

2. do a "global replace" on "symbol name" and set it to "Geocache".

------------------------------------

Then I exported them as a gpx file and sent it to the Colorado.

Worked great....thanks HHL

[…] The GPS must be recording the status elsewhere in the file system, but it's unclear where and how.

It's accurately described there:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=281106&st=0&p=4826494entry4826494

Frohes Jagen

Hans

Excellent information....Thanks! I assumed from much experimentation and head scratching that something like this must be happening.

Makes sense now.