Change Cache Name

DougDawn

Is it possible to change the name of one of my geocaches after it has been published?

Sure. Just edit the cache listing and "Cache name" is the third field down the page.

What happens to everybody's record of finding it after the name change?

It will show up as whatever it's called today regardless of when someone found it. In effect, the name change is retroactive. Some people would say that you shouldn't worry about messing up other cachers' stats. I'd say that you should only change the name if you have a good reason. There was a recent discussion about changing the Difficulty and Terrain ratings and how that changes the stats of other cachers. Many seemed to agree that the D/T ratings are very important and should be changed if necessary. However, the name isn't nearly as important, so changing it could affect stats without anything really being gained.

What kind of change are we talking about? If it's something minor, like fixing a spelling mistake, I don't see a problem. If it's a change to a completely different name, I'd have to ask why you want to do so. It could potentially affect other cachers' stats, so what gain will there be from making the change? If you have a good reason, then absolutely go for it. I wouldn't do it just on a whim, though.

Is it possible to change the name of one of my geocaches after it has been published?

Sure. Just edit the cache listing and "Cache name" is the third field down the page.

What happens to everybody's record of finding it after the name change?

It will show up as whatever it's called today regardless of when someone found it. In effect, the name change is retroactive. Some people would say that you shouldn't worry about messing up other cachers' stats. I'd say that you should only change the name if you have a good reason. There was a recent discussion about changing the Difficulty and Terrain ratings and how that changes the stats of other cachers. Many seemed to agree that the D/T ratings are very important and should be changed if necessary. However, the name isn't nearly as important, so changing it could affect stats without anything really being gained.

What kind of change are we talking about? If it's something minor, like fixing a spelling mistake, I don't see a problem. If it's a change to a completely different name, I'd have to ask why you want to do so. It could potentially affect other cachers' stats, so what gain will there be from making the change? If you have a good reason, then absolutely go for it. I wouldn't do it just on a whim, though.

Name change because the original cache got vandalized/stolen and I have to move it slightly so they cannot find it again. The original name was very descriptive of what the cache was located on but the new container will be on a totally different object. Could be misleading to use the old name, but maybe I should just keep the old name and mention in the revised description that it has been moved.

Another option is to archive the old cache listing and create a new one.

What was the point of the original cache? Was it to bring the person to the object where the cache was hidden? If so, then the replacement cache is changing the point of the cache, and it makes sense to archive and relist.

Or was the point to bring the person to the area, and the name referring to the object was incidental? If so, then keeping the same listing and just changing the name makes sense.

Another option is to archive the old cache listing and create a new one.

What was the point of the original cache? Was it to bring the person to the object where the cache was hidden? If so, then the replacement cache is changing the point of the cache, and it makes sense to archive and relist.

Or was the point to bring the person to the area, and the name referring to the object was incidental? If so, then keeping the same listing and just changing the name makes sense.

The original intention was to bring people to the area rather than the object. I think I will just un-archive it, keep the name and alter the coordinates. Thx for the helpful input.

Name change because the original cache got vandalized/stolen and I have to move it slightly so they cannot find it again.

Sounds like a good reason to just create a new cache at the same place instead of renaming the old one. I understand why that might not have occurred to you, but from your description, that sounds like what you're actually doing, so best to reflect that in listings.

If it has the same GC#-as in you just moved the cache and changed the co-ords then keep the old name. Someone may look and say "I never found a cache by this name" and delete their logs. Or it could mess with any challenges such as find a cache with the name that starts with "W"

If you archived it and created a whole new cache-even with the same container-then call it whatever you want. This is probably the better option as it gives others an extra smiley and another cache to go find.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The cache reviewer said to leave the old one archived and to submit a new cache. "there may have been other caches (multis/puzzles with hidden stages) placed nearby since then. The best thing to do is to submit a new listing for Review -- that way we can be sure all is OK with this location."