Incorrect date on log

HindAndSeek

Hi,

I found 7 GeoCaches yesterday, 6/1/13 in the UK GMT. I used two different devices as the Battery ran out on the first, they were both Windows mobiles with Geocaching installed on them. Today I noticed the second device had the clock out by one day. Which is reflected below and in my stats. 7 in one day is my record.

Is there any way you can edit my finds so caches #4,5 and 12 below show the 6/1/13 instead of the 5th?

Also I didn't realise the application got it's clock from the device. Surely that's open to abuse, first to find and special days etc?

Thanks Rob.

Found it 06/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hillside Views - Hutton Hill Seasonal Cache South West England, United Kingdom Visit Log

Found it 06/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hutton Millennium Walk #3 South West England, United Kingdom Visit Log

Found it 06/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hutton Millennium Walk #2 South West England, United Kingdom Visit Log

Found it 06/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hutton Millennium Walk #1 South West England, United Kingdom Visit Log

Found it 05/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hutton Millennium Walk #12 South West England, United Kingdom Visit Log

Found it 05/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hutton Millennium Walk #5 South West England, United Kingdom Visit Log

Found it 05/01/2013 HindAndSeek found [Traditional Cache] Hutton Millennium Walk #4 South West England, United Kingdom Visit Lo

Is there any way you can edit my finds so caches #4,5 and 12 below show the 6/1/13 instead of the 5th?

You can do this yourself. Just bring up each of those three cache pages, scroll down to your log, then click the "View / Edit Log / Images" link. Click the pencil icon (edit.png) to edit the log, change the date to the correct one, and click "Submit Log Entry".

Also I didn't realise the application got it's clock from the device. Surely that's open to abuse, first to find and special days etc?

From everything we've been told in the forums in the past, they don't. We've been told repeatedly by TPTB that the apps use the current UTC time when you submit a log. Clearly there's a bug in the app if this isn't the case.

When you log via the website, you can specify the date of the log, including before the cache was published or any other "special day." I haven't heard of much abuse there, and it's been that way for 12 years. Why would you think the app should be any different?

You can do this yourself. Just bring up each of those three cache pages, scroll down to your log, then click the "View / Edit Log / Images" link. Click the pencil icon (edit.png) to edit the log, change the date to the correct one, and click "Submit Log Entry".

Thanks, went to the log page the other day but didn't click the pen icon, doh! All sorted now, new record yeah! :-)

From everything we've been told in the forums in the past, they don't. We've been told repeatedly by TPTB that the apps use the current UTC time when you submit a log. Clearly there's a bug in the app if this isn't the case.

I think you should not be able to edit the date, on the website or the apps. If it used the current UTC, their would be no need to edit the date. Oh hang on, what about GPS devices? How do they work? You download a set of caches to the device, you find them mark them off on th GPS then what? upload via laptop or plug the 'found it' in one by one?

Thanks again for your help. Must look into getting a GPS device....

Why wouldn't they want us to be able edit the date? Not everyone can log a geocache the instant they find it.

If someone without an instant logging device spends the day finding geocaches, and gets home late in the evening, and does not feel like logging finds until the next day, they should be able to change the find date so that it is correct.

Not sure if this is the same problem but I am using L4C Pro on 1.2.2 on my iPhone 4s (IOS 6.1.3).

I am located in timezone UTC+9:30 (Adelaide, South Australia) and I found my finds showed in the App on the correct date but in my logs on the Geocaching.com web site, they showed up as the previous day.

All my finds happened before 3:30pm so I suspect an issue with Timezones, the problem is, I am not sure which 'side' is the cause.

My Geocaching profile is setup for Adelaide, Australia. As is my L4C settings. My Phone time is correct.

I have recorded an issue with L4C but I am also placing a note here, as I am unsure as to which side is wrong. :(

Second edit: I also note that this forum shows I edit this post at 10:50pm ish, for me, it's 4:20pm in the afternoon!

Edited by lyallpearce

I am located in timezone UTC+9:30 (Adelaide, South Australia) and I found my finds showed in the App on the correct date but in my logs on the Geocaching.com web site, they showed up as the previous day.

All my finds happened before 3:30pm so I suspect an issue with Timezones, the problem is, I am not sure which 'side' is the cause.

Groundspeak has no idea how to do timezones and timestamps properly. Long-standing problem, pet peeve, etc. :angry: