[FEATURE] Verify Email

Don_J

A common question on these forums is "are you getting your emails". That and people complaining that the reviewers are not responding to them. While this is an occasional problem with the Groundspeak computers, more often it is isolated to a problem with the users email service either blocking or sorting the mail out to a spam folder.

A helpful tool for the user would be to add a "Verify", or "Test" to the action area of our Add Email page. This would send an automatic test message to the selected email address and help the user isolate the problem.

Edited by Don_J

Wouldn't that be covered by sending yourself an email via profile, or at least selecting the 'send me a copy' option.

Same would go for posting a 'dummy' find on a cache with a watch selection?

I have no problem with adding a specific tool for this, but I find the above work most of the time.

Another ploy is to make sure that the various 'senders' are on your contact list. Especially 'noreply@ GC'

If an automatic tool is created, it should trigger a test email from a specific sources list. That way the tester could chose the area he suspects is faulty. Of course an ALL would be included.

A Question... have you seen any instance where only part of the system works? That is say you get newsletters, and your watch list items but NOT emails for example. Most complaints I've seen have been all or nothing.

There are other instances where the email has never been validated, so will never work. They might want to prevent using the site until such validation takes place. At least where the person is registered as a basic (minimum). A more useful feature perhaps would be to periodically send out validation requests for email addresses to users. This used to be a regular thing with ISPs in our area, failure to maintain communication link resulted in things locking up til re established.

Doug 7rxc

Wouldn't that be covered by sending yourself an email via profile, or at least selecting the 'send me a copy' option.

Same would go for posting a 'dummy' find on a cache with a watch selection?

I have no problem with adding a specific tool for this, but I find the above work most of the time.

Another ploy is to make sure that the various 'senders' are on your contact list. Especially 'noreply@ GC'

If an automatic tool is created, it should trigger a test email from a specific sources list. That way the tester could chose the area he suspects is faulty. Of course an ALL would be included.

A Question... have you seen any instance where only part of the system works? That is say you get newsletters, and your watch list items but NOT emails for example. Most complaints I've seen have been all or nothing.

There are other instances where the email has never been validated, so will never work. They might want to prevent using the site until such validation takes place. At least where the person is registered as a basic (minimum). A more useful feature perhaps would be to periodically send out validation requests for email addresses to users. This used to be a regular thing with ISPs in our area, failure to maintain communication link resulted in things locking up til re established.

Doug 7rxc

Yes, there are all kinds of ways to test your email, but it gets confusing trying to guide people through those ways, especially when you don't know their level of knowledge. A simple, click "here" to get to your email setup page, READ the email address to see that it is correct, then click "Test", would remove a ton of confusion.

As far as unvalidated accounts. It is a different, active topic somewhere in the forum. (can't search now, have to run). I have some very strong opinions on that issue.

I thought you were sent an email verification when you sign up. And most emails will start ending stuff to spam based on the amount that gets sent-like here. emails for finds on your caches, new hides, reviewer notes. The computer programs see thee volume from one (or a couple different but very similar) email addresses and thinks it's spam. It happens with other forums as well. Although it is not needed as there are ways to do this maybe it would be helpful to newbies and in case there actually is a problem with the email system.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I thought you were sent an email verification when you sign up. And most emails will start ending stuff to spam based on the amount that gets sent-like here. emails for finds on your caches, new hides, reviewer notes. The computer programs see thee volume from one (or a couple different but very similar) email addresses and thinks it's spam. It happens with other forums as well. Although it is not needed as there are ways to do this maybe it would be helpful to newbies and in case there actually is a problem with the email system.

You are sent an email validation that you click on to validate the address... but if you don't do that then you are out of luck.

Problem seems to be that some don't ever do that step. However they seem to be able to use the site regardless.

Perhaps some of it is with the 'smartphone' crowd. I don't have one so I don't know if it is the same. Some seem to be able to use the site on a software basis even if not registered at all.

One thing I did realize after my earlier comment is that there can be problems with the ISP and or the email system. I use Hotmail / Live whatever they call it. Sometimes they will block things or filter them to the spam or junk file. That is the reason that I put some 'problem' sources on my contact list. Once it is on there the system should accept it regardless of what it thinks. Anything else would be a breach of contract.

Kunarion's idea of a button to test the GS system is fine and would be simpler. Sometimes we forget that once you know how to almost anything is easy, but many don't.

Doug 7rxc