Repair- Garmin60cx

Ramblin_Man

This is common for our 60Cx units after years of use. Mine got to this point then one day it would not turn On. Garmin (at that time) would fix it (or send a refurb'd one back) for a $125 charge with you paying for shipping to them. Since our beloved 60Cx is now on the Garmin Discontinued list I don't know if they will still offer this.

You may find one on sale online, or like I did, upgrade to a 62s at this point. I did love my 60Cx but now the 62s is my sweetie!

This is common for our 60Cx units after years of use. Mine got to this point then one day it would not turn On. Garmin (at that time) would fix it (or send a refurb'd one back) for a $125 charge with you paying for shipping to them. Since our beloved 60Cx is now on the Garmin Discontinued list I don't know if they will still offer this.

You may find one on sale online, or like I did, upgrade to a 62s at this point. I did love my 60Cx but now the 62s is my sweetie!

Found a 60cxs on ebay for parts for 22 bucks (6 more days) - #321042719040.

- If you're handy...

You can also purchase the front button covers for the 60 series there too (60 cxs buttons), but have never seen the power button only.

I replaced a set after melting almost everything with an over-spray of Deet.

Deet also shrivels the screen protectors into a tiny ball 'O goo. :laughing:

Permethrin only now.

I had to make a fine hole in the rubber with a tiny wood screw and filled it by stuffing "gasket in a can" (from the auto store) into the hole with a couple of flat toothpicks.

Leaving a rough coat on top has lasted me two years. Wearing smooth now, may be due another treatment by next Summer.

Sometimes Garmin will repair a On/Off button problem for free, even when outside of the warrenty time, as it is a known problem.

I tried the drop of glue trick on the bottem of the button, but I didn't have the right kind of glue.

What worked for me:

Batteries out, six screws out, gentle pry the back off, bottom end first. There is only about 1/4 to 1/2 in of play between the front and back due to the wires. The top rubber piece that is over the antenna, is held in place by the grooves in the front and back pieces, and several sticky places on top. I was able to fingernail pry the top out of the grooves. Then pull the top piece off exposing the antenna and the button hole. I then found a plastic rod, from my junk box, just the right size for the button hole. Cut off the end about 1/16 of an inch, or a tad shorter, dropped it into the hold, as a spacer, repositioned the top, worked good as new. Next was reseating the top into the groove in the front first, then reposition the rubber seal between the halves as I joined the back to the front and the top into the groove. Forgot to mention that all six screws are the same length, so no sweat putting them back in the right place.

The button top was split in half, so I was able to glue it together ok.