Waymark Lists

Waymarking is sufficiently old nowadays that there are multiple Waymarks that can be linked together to form a bigger understanding of a topic.

A lone Waymark has part of the story. Whereas several Waymarks would convey more.

A bit like Bookmark lists over at GeoCaching.com

Is there a way of listing multiple Waymarks by different authors, on the same topic?

eg Waymarks about the Pennine Way, a long distance path; Waymarks along a rail line about the history of that line or features on route.

As new Waymarks are posted, the list owner could search for new additions as well as the authors asking for their new postings to be added.

Self Guided Walks and Trails and Waytours do not do it, or do they?

Or is this one for the Lackeys to add to the site?

Waymarking is sufficiently old nowadays that there are multiple Waymarks that can be linked together to form a bigger understanding of a topic.

A lone Waymark has part of the story. Whereas several Waymarks would convey more.

A bit like Bookmark lists over at GeoCaching.com

Is there a way of listing multiple Waymarks by different authors, on the same topic?

eg Waymarks about the Pennine Way, a long distance path; Waymarks along a rail line about the history of that line or features on route.

As new Waymarks are posted, the list owner could search for new additions as well as the authors asking for their new postings to be added.

Self Guided Walks and Trails and Waytours do not do it, or do they?

Or is this one for the Lackeys to add to the site?

Hey there flipflopnick.

As far as I know, there is no such feature available on Waymarking.com. I wish there was! I love the geocaching bookmark feature, and wish I could perform a similar grouping with waymarks.

I just found this forum thread when searching for waymark lists. Boy could I use something like that now!

I undertook to make waymarks of all of the churches that are members of the Barry County Southern Baptist Association (Missouri). In all cases they are a Baptist Church waymark, and in some cases (most cases in this neck of the woods) they are also Country Churches.

I wanted to be able to provide a single link to folks to get the entire list of waymarks (of both categories) for all of the BCSBA churches. I was most of the way through the project, with a few more churches to go, when I got a big surprise. Lo and behold there is no way to do what I thought I was going to do! I guess I was thinking of GC bookmark lists, and I hadn't bothered to check to see that Waymarking doesn't have the same thing.

I guess I could make my own webpage with such a list and point folks to that. But why shouldn't it be a feature of this web site?

Now I saw the reference in the earlier post about Self Guided Walks and Way Tours. I wonder if another category could be added to the Waymarking Multifarious master category that would be something like Waymark Lists. A waymark in such a category might have these characteristics:

The coordinates of the waymark are not particularly important, but may be those of a central meeting place for subjects of the various waymarks.

The name and short description would, of course, tell what the list was about.

The detailed description would simply have names of each waymark and a URL to its Waymarking page.

That would at least be something!

Isn't it true though that WMs in the multifarious category are not searchable?

No, most that fall there are searchable. There are a few categories that may be only available at certain times and others that are not located at the coordinates but most are like waymarks in other categories, they just don't fall neatly in the other departments.

BTW, a waymark category whose purpose is to have a waymark "point to" (name) another waymark ends up allowing a lot of data structures: linked lists, graphs, trees.

Just imagine a hierarchical "directory structure" of waymarks, where each directory waymark is in the category that serves as pointers to other waymarks, and the "files" (or leaves of the tree) are waymarks in any other category.

Interesting possibilities...

Anyway, I guess I still don't have a Waymarking.com solution to what I wanted to do. Not without either having bookmark lists added, or some other feature like the waymark list category. Ho hum!