Import data to iGeoKnife app

SaintSteven

I am relatively new to Geocaching and use the iPhone app. "Geocaching". One problem is that I have to be connected to the internet to get access. I saw an app called iGeoKnife which says that it can import databases which can then be used when offline. However I'm having problems. I have sent a support request to the software supplier but haven't received a reply. I've also searched the internet and haven't solved my problem so, here it is:

How do I import a Geocaching database into the iPhone app **iGeoKnife** please?

I've purchased the app, and have a Mac.

The very brief instructions on the app say "Add your GSAK databases (sqlite.db3)". That might as well be Martian language to me, a relative beginner to Geocaching.

Other instructions say" To find your GSAK databases: Open GSAK, Go to Tools menu, etc….

However when I go to GSAK, and pay $30 for it, I find that there is mot a Mac version.

There is a link to iGeoKnife support but it only leads to an advert for other software provided by the company.

Can someone please, in very simple, step-by-step terms explain how I can import data into iGeoKnife

Thank you

Greetings. You arright in saying that here is no Apple based GSAK - as far as I know, they are not compatible. To transfer data from my iPad to iGeoknife I simply click on the "send GPX file" from the Geocaching.com page. A window appears if I want to read from Dropbox or iGeoknife. The GC code appears at the top of he lit, click on the newest codes and update them from the button at the botom of the screen.

Hope this helps out.

Greetings. You arright in saying that here is no Apple based GSAK - as far as I know, they are not compatible. To transfer data from my iPad to iGeoknife I simply click on the "send GPX file" from the Geocaching.com page. A window appears if I want to read from Dropbox or iGeoknife. The GC code appears at the top of he lit, click on the newest codes and update them from the button at the botom of the screen.

Hope this helps out.

Brilliant "Loonwatcher" a very quick reply to my question and it worked. I got a "send to iGeoKnife" option.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Regards

SaintSteven

(Mike)

Hope this helps out.

Brilliant "Loonwatcher" a very quick reply to my question and it worked. I got a "send to iGeoKnife" option.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Regards

SaintSteven

(Mike)

Reference the above chain, I am a complete newbie and am experiencing the same snags, plus one major one; please allow me to elaborate:

I too have an iPhone (6) and have downloaded the Geocaching app, but I find a number of snags; the app lists soon many caches as being 'Premium only', even when they appear not to be on the GS website. Soooo.. I too downloaded the iGeoknife app, expecting to be able to download caches to track down offline, however I too was baffled by the 'instructions' for opening the GSAK files and syncing etc.

I kind of figured out that I was supposed to download the .gpx file from the website and then sync with my phone via iTunes, however this option is greyed out, (presumably) because I am not a premium Geocaching member(?)

Therefore my dilemma.. Is the iGeoknife app only of use to premium Geocaching members, or am I missing something? Is there a good way for a non premium member to download any or all non premium Geocaches for use offline, just as I did with the brilliant 'CGeo' app I used for Android? Or, having bought into the fairly significantly superior (in some ways) world of Apple, am I stuck with the fairly ambiguous choices for turning 'Premium' with Groundspeak?

I also have Geobucket and GeoCaches, which are fairly useful, but a) they only allow me to download 3 caches a day and b ) means that I am switching between 3 apps to get one job done, which is very frustrating. What I am after is one app to keep track of all..

Any advice or help for a way to download and use cache data offline would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mafa Kinedurtz

Therefore my dilemma.. Is the iGeoknife app only of use to premium Geocaching members, or am I missing something? Is there a good way for a non premium member to download any or all non premium Geocaches for use offline, just as I did with the brilliant 'CGeo' app I used for Android? Or, having bought into the fairly significantly superior (in some ways) world of Apple, am I stuck with the fairly ambiguous choices for turning 'Premium' with Groundspeak?

I also have Geobucket and GeoCaches, which are fairly useful, but a) they only allow me to download 3 caches a day and b ) means that I am switching between 3 apps to get one job done, which is very frustrating. What I am after is one app to keep track of all..

Any advice or help for a way to download and use cache data offline would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I use Geosphere, but all of the iPhone apps (other than Groundspeak's) that I have seen are either dependent on premium features (pocket queries) or use the Groundspeak live API. On the Android, C:geo bypassed the API and scrapes the site using other methods that violate the Terms of Use for geocaching.com.

The Groundspeak API restricts basic members to downloading the full cache information for only three caches a day, although you can obtain the basic cache information for 6000 caches a day (which does not include the description, hints, or past logs). Similarly, GPX files with full cache information are only available for premium members - basic members have access to LOC files with limited data. This is a limitation imposed by Groundspeak and not any of the apps.

I should note that my first GPS receivers only supported basic cache information, so it is certainly possible to play this game without just that, particularly if you have online access and can find anything else you need to have through a browser.

The paid version of the Groundspeak app provides greater access to full cache information (and can be used offline), but this app has not been updated for some time and it is my understanding that it is being phased out in favor of the Intro app that requires premium membership for full use. It will not provide access to "premium members only" caches because those have been designated by caches owners only for that category of membership.

Geosphere allows me to manage, search, import, export, and does everything I need so that I will probably remain a premium member to take full advantage of its features. But if you do not want to purchase premium membership, then for now the Groundspeak app might be your best option - just be aware that it is no longer under development.

Edited by geodarts

I use Geosphere, but all of the iPhone apps (other than Groundspeak's) that I have seen are either dependent on premium features (pocket queries) or use the Groundspeak live API. On the Android, C:geo bypassed the API and scrapes the site using other methods that violate the Terms of Use for geocaching.com.

The Groundspeak API restricts basic members to downloading the full cache information for only three caches a day, although you can obtain the basic cache information for 6000 caches a day (which does not include the description, hints, or past logs). Similarly, GPX files with full cache information are only available for premium members - basic members have access to LOC files with limited data. This is a limitation imposed by Groundspeak and not any of the apps.

I should note that my first GPS receivers only supported basic cache information, so it is certainly possible to play this game without just that, particularly if you have online access and can find anything else you need to have through a browser.

The paid version of the Groundspeak app provides greater access to full cache information (and can be used offline), but this app has not been updated for some time and it is my understanding that it is being phased out in favor of the Intro app that requires premium membership for full use. It will not provide access to "premium members only" caches because those have been designated by caches owners only for that category of membership.

Geosphere allows me to manage, search, import, export, and does everything I need so that I will probably remain a premium member to take full advantage of its features. But if you do not want to purchase premium membership, then for now the Groundspeak app might be your best option - just be aware that it is no longer under development.

Many thanks Geodarts for your reply and your insight, which I think helps me decide on my course of action: If I understand you correctly, I can pay for Premium membership (approx €30 for the year) and use the intro app which I already have installed on my iPhone, which will then give me full access to all the caches with maximum functionality? I should then NOT have to pay still more to download the 'full' app? I also have iGeoknife, which seems to support lots of Gucci functionality once Premium membership is in the bag so that would be a bonus. I also looked at Geosphere, which looked good too (very similar by all accounts).

I was concerned (and confused) about which way to ascertain maximum functionality; whether to 'upgrade' to the full app, or to pay on the website for full m'ship and if I did that, whether I would then still ned to pay for the full app. I think your reply has hopefully cleared that up.

I will consider this further and most likely stop being a cheapskate, bite the bullet and buy the full m'ship. I will advise how I proceed.

Many thanks once again!

Regards Dave

If you haven't seen this Help Center article yet, then I recommend it:

What is the Difference Between the Free Geocaching Intro App, the Paid Geocaching App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

But FWIW, my approach is to buy premium membership, which includes full API access in addition to other tools that I find useful, and then to use the third-party API-based app that meets my needs. I've helped beta-test Groundspeak's Android apps, but other than that, I've used third-party apps.