New York in December

Kurtcat

Hi all,

Just a bit of advice reall regarding planned visit (well honeymoon:)to New York in December.

I've been caching in the UK for a while now with a Garmin Oregon 300 and it serves me well but:

1) Do i need to download a new map set for it?

2) I use Grough Route to plan my 'routes' and upload onto the Garmin, is there an equivalent i can use for NY?

Many Thanks

Kurtcat

What part of NY? You don't need maps to cache, but they help you find your way around. Quality free non-routable US topo from GPSfileDepot. Pretty Good routable maps for free from garmin.openstreetmap.nl without topo. Routable topo from Garmin (24k Northeast), about 120 USD. Probably the best routable roads (no trails) is City Navigator North America NT, about 50 USD for lower 48 states and 70 for to include Canada, and Alaska.

Edited by seldom_sn

If you mean Manhattan, don't expect too much, reception can be bad or lost completely in urban canyons.

Will your bride be happy caching while in NY?

I understand there are some great hides at Saks Fifth Avenue. B) The topo leaves a lot to be desired though.

Hi all,

Thanks for replies and yes my bride will be more than happy caching in New York (well for a couple of hours at least :rolleyes: ). We're staying in Long Island City 10mins by subway into Manhattan, only really looking to do one or two and drop off some TBs whilst there and start one of our own as a married couple from NY.

Should be good :D

There used to be a TB hotel on the southern end of the park but last I looked it was disabled. Bugs moved through there so fast and furious that the couple I dropped were gone within an hour and over 30 were moved on the day I visited. Of course, that was during the summer but it's still a destination to see! Snug as a Bug in Central Park is the one I found while there. It's enabled again.