Paperless with Etrex HC and Cachefreak's help

wingryder

I was jazzed to find the video that Cachefreak made about creating custom points of interest (yes geocache descriptions) on my Etrex Venture HC. this is the one that does not have a sd card but was used in the video so I know it works.

Cachefreak.com seems to be down... so appealing to you for help.

Everything goes well until I get to the end. Always says not enough memory. My test gpx file has 142 caches and the resulting poi file in microsoft excell shows up with about 250 entries. (multiples because of 88 character limitation)

Even without sd card capability.. the Venture HC is good for 500 waypoints or caches.

Yes its empty when I start loading.

What am I missing. ??

thanks

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

Whatever the stickler.. I like more caches in hand not less. I think I will stick with the Nuvi for cache desciptions.

Easier to read.. and 1000 at a time. Plug in to the Jeep as much as possible to keep the battery going. and use a hiking gpsr for the find..

Someday I will buy a true "paperless" gpsr. But for now...

Not too sure of the macro you use, but I used a macro to cache 'paperless' with my Garmin Map60csx, which added POI files for each cache.

Try limiting the number of pages per cache. They take up space and may be the limit you're running up against?

If you are doing a cache with a long cache description, it may be worth printing it, or at least making a note of the information you need.

GPS unit have limits to number of caches, number of GPX files, and file size limits.

Hitting one limit can stop you reaching any of the other limits.

I have been experimenting with the 60csxpoi with my Etrex Venture HC. I only ticked name, and short description knowing about the limitations. Some caches came back with one page and very limited usable info. Most came back with three or four pages and you could get the jist of the decription if you bounced back and fourth on all the pages. I am sure lots of effort went into the macro but don't think it's for me.

wingryder