ebay coin purchase, but already activated?

Team Rambo

I just purchased a coin on ebay. The page claimed that it was unactivated. However, when I received the coin in the mail, I went to activate it and it is already owned and activated. The owners page shows that he owns 2801 trackables. That's crazy right?

Anyway...is it possible that the person that sold the coin didn't know it was activated and the person that owns this coin and 2,801 others is hacking the coins?

What is my next course of action? I have already emailed the ebay seller. Is there something else I should be doing?

here is the ebay auction link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170927078268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here is the guy that "owns" it:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=aa7cbd41-d7b5-4dc7-a57e-930eb9fa64df

here is the coin in question:

http://coord.info/TB1TVXX

Edited by Keystone
removed tracking code from URL and replaced with public reference link

You can send a message to Marky. I think he is a coin designer so he probably does own that many coins. I would contact both the seller and Marky and explain that the coin is activated and see what they say. He might of sold the coin not realizing it was activated because there is no logs for the coin.

Thanks for the insight maine family!! and holly smokes, you own over 1300 trackables!!!

Marky is a well known and respected cacher and coiner. But your beef is with the seller who misrepresented the coin you bought, not the original owner of the coin in question..... maybe the seller "found" the coin in a cache and all the logs have been deleted - just sayin'.

Edit to add.... contact Marky and tell him you bought a coin on Ebay he happens to be the owner of. He may adopt it over to you, he's that kind of guy.

Edited by Droo

Marky is a well known and respected cacher and coiner. But your beef is with the seller who misrepresented the coin you bought, not the original owner of the coin in question..... maybe the seller "found" the coin in a cache and all the logs have been deleted - just sayin'.

Edit to add.... contact Marky and tell him you bought a coin on Ebay he happens to be the owner of. He may adopt it over to you, he's that kind of guy.

Thanks for the response Droo. I wasn't trying to give Marky a bad wrap even though, when I re-read it, it does sound that way. Things don't always translate well from my brain, to the forum!!! I'm sure Marky is a top notch cacher!!!

your beef is strictly with the seller...if he/she refuses to respond to your e-mails, I would contact paypal (whom i assume you used to pay for the coin,) and let them know the auction is fraudulent, and request a refund.

in response to your other comment, no sain person owns over 2500 activated geocoins !

ILYK

I wasn't trying to give Marky a bad wrap even though, when I re-read it, it does sound that way. Things don't always translate well from my brain, to the forum!!!

The point is still that you are understandably upset that the "unactivated coin" you bought is not just activated but activated to a third party.... ie. the seller is not the registered owner. The question still remains about the legality of the sale. Is the coin stolen? Does the seller know s/he misrepresented the coin and could face serious problems with Ebay for selling something belonging to another and misrepresenting it on their auction page. Ebay does not like this sort of thing as it give them a bad name.

in response to your other comment, no sain person owns over 2500 activated geocoins !

Several years ago (dial-up days on AOL) I made the mistake of clicking on Marky's trackables list and it took several minutes to upload all the icons. At the time he only had 1000+ activated coins and it convinced me of two things....

1) Only activate as many coins that would match the column of icons moved and discovered and

2) it was time to subscribe to high speed internet.

-----

-----

That explains a LOT of things drneal!! ;):laughing:

A few years ago I sold a coin I had bought directly from the company. When the buyer tried to activate it, it was already activated and he contacted me. It ended up that there were two coins with the same tracking number and the other person had hers in hand and confirmed the number was the same. I was able to contact the company and my buyer was sent a new coin. Its also possible something like this happened.

your beef is strictly with the seller...if he/she refuses to respond to your e-mails, I would contact paypal (whom i assume you used to pay for the coin,) and let them know the auction is fraudulent, and request a refund.

ILYK

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: