New again

AnarKya

Hello everyone,

I started Geocaching years ago but took a break because of illness, but tonight I started again with my nephews.

I always had the iPhone app but never used it. Tonight, while walking in the woods, I said: "Hey, let's see if there's caches around here!"

There was one and we introduced my nephews to the game. They were instantly hooked. Asked to go and find more right away.

We found another near by and they asked us to find all the caches in our city :)

Since I took a break a long while ago, I'm a bit confused about some things. When I played, it was free. Now there's a premium option. I looked at all the things we can get, but I'm not sure I understand.

Premium API? Does this means other apps than the original GC?

Also: If I pay 9.99 for the original App. Do I still get what we were getting before or do I need to add a premium membership?

Thank you.

Welcome back! If you started in 04 the premium membership option was around then. I'm not a smartphone cacher so I really can't address how that affects smartphone apps. I believe that you get limited features if you are not a premium member and using an API app, but don't take that as gospel. I'm sure a smartphone cacher will come along shortly to correct me or expand on that.

The free Iphone app , is quite basic and just shows the closest 3 caches to your location, no searches i dont think or anything shiny.

The paid ap , gives you everything more or less that you can do through the geocaching.com website.

to be able to carry out pocket queries, have favourites, lists and be able to show "premium" caches you need to be a premioum member,

the premium mebership isnt associated with the APP, but when you log into the iphone App it knows if your a premium, member and you can run pocket queries from it and such like