Showing only recently found caches?

ghostintheruins

Howaya!

I was just wondering if there is a way to filter out caches so that only ones that have been found recently, as in the last two or three months, are displayed? I know when running a pocket query that you can limit it to caches that have been found within the last 7 days, but there aren't too many caches around where I live so when I enable that I only get maybe 8 or 9 caches in a 50km radius. Is there any way to change that to a longer time-frame?

It seems lately I've ended up at a fair few caches that haven't been found in well over a year and the places have changed in that time so it's hard to know if the caches are still there. So it would be nice to be able to run a pocket query that is more than likely going to have only caches that are actually still there. If that makes sense.

Any ways of doing this? Seeing as there's no option in the pocket query menu than I would assume that there isn't, but no harm in asking people more knowledgeable than myself!

Thanks.

It seems lately I've ended up at a fair few caches that haven't been found in well over a year and the places have changed in that time so it's hard to know if the caches are still there. So it would be nice to be able to run a pocket query that is more than likely going to have only caches that are actually still there. If that makes sense.

On the face of what you are saying, it seems reasonable. But, reading it again, something glared at me.... (that highlighted portion).

Simply put -- that's part of the 'game'. If you cannot find it, you should log a DNF. A number of DNF logs would (should) cause the owner to go check on it. You don't log it and they never know they should check.

If they have no inkling it may be missing, why would they bother? That is sort of what makes geocaching a "community".

By deliberately avoiding those that haven't been found in a while, you are only compounding that which you wish to avoid.

Too, failing to find a cache can be just as rewarding as finding.... geocaching is not solely about finding a container.

But hey, if you only want caches with the absolute guarantee that they aren't missing (hard-to-find also fits), who am I to knock that?

It just sort of sounds.... well, like wanting them delivered on a silver platter.

You can use something else to manipulate the data. GSAK will be able to do this with no problems :)

I must give GSAK a go so. I downloaded the demo a while ago but I couldn't make head nor tail of it, it looked very complicated at the time. Thanks for the reply :)

Load your PQ into GSAK and then on the Search Menu, choose Filter. Choose the date tab and you will see all of the different date fields that you can filter on. The top one is Last Found Date. Use the drop down to select "During" and more fields will open up to the right. Type in three and select months. Click okay at the bottom and only caches that have been found during the last three months will be displayed. If you send to GPS, only those caches will be sent. That should get your feet wet and allow you to see how powerful the filter ability of GSAK can be. Just explore around.

I must give GSAK a go so. I downloaded the demo a while ago but I couldn't make head nor tail of it, it looked very complicated at the time. Thanks for the reply :)

It is a fairly steep learning curve for a lot of people, but once you get used to it it's VERY flexible...you can do almost anything with it, especially with macros :)

It is a fairly steep learning curve for a lot of people, but once you get used to it it's VERY flexible...you can do almost anything with it, especially with macros :)

If you concentrate on one or two features at a time the learning curve is pretty flat. If you try to swallow it whole it is pretty hard. Same can be said of Excel, Word, Access or any moderately complex program.