Limited Availability > Fairs, Festivals and Shows

UMainah

What are you supposed to do for a Waymark that occurs annually(at the same location)? For example, I have a waymark I would like to submit that I visited this year, but I don't know yet the exact dates for next year. What the system seems to be encouraging is to submit a new waymark every year before the festival happens, since it asks for a very specific date(or date range), which includes the year, of the event. Which would mean a waymark for "State Balloon Festival 2010", "State Balloon Festival 2011", "State Balloon Festival 2012", "State Balloon Festival 2013", etc.

Maybe it is expected that the owner update the waymark page each year, but looking at other annual festivals submitted it appears that this never happens.

Here is a specific example: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4P83_Colorado_Balloon_Classic_Colorado_Springs

The mark was submitted in 2008, with the dates it was held in 2008 and the number of balloons that were in attendance that year. Waymarkers have visited this festival almost every year since. The days of the month and number of balloons fluctuate each year.

My first thought was that maybe the visit instructions are to list the dates of the current festival (that the waymarker visited), thus updating the listing thru the log. I assumed we only post one waymark per festival, but I understand your point.

I checked the visit instructions for the category example you listed, and it says:

Attend the festival.

Give the name of the event.

Post the coordinates of the launch field.

Give the city, state/prov, and country.

Tell us the number of balloons participating.

Post the associated website if available and/or the organizing group.

Post a picture of yourself with one of the pilots, crew, volunteers, or in front of one of the balloons involved with the rally. (Pilots and crew are usually very approachable and willing to help.)

Then I laughed when I found this visit log:

No balloons today. :(

What are you supposed to do for a Waymark that occurs annually(at the same location)? For example, I have a waymark I would like to submit that I visited this year, but I don't know yet the exact dates for next year. What the system seems to be encouraging is to submit a new waymark every year before the festival happens, since it asks for a very specific date(or date range), which includes the year, of the event. Which would mean a waymark for "State Balloon Festival 2010", "State Balloon Festival 2011", "State Balloon Festival 2012", "State Balloon Festival 2013", etc.

Maybe it is expected that the owner update the waymark page each year, but looking at other annual festivals submitted it appears that this never happens.

Here is a specific example: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4P83_Colorado_Balloon_Classic_Colorado_Springs

The mark was submitted in 2008, with the dates it was held in 2008 and the number of balloons that were in attendance that year. Waymarkers have visited this festival almost every year since. The days of the month and number of balloons fluctuate each year.

In the case of the Hot Air Balloon Festival category the date should be the date of the event that you attended when making the waymark. There is no need to update this in the variable. I think it is unfortunate that the default date field was used for this variable because it is so inflexible. A short text box field would allow entries such as "Every June" or "Third week of August." So, the best thing is just to note variable dates in the detailed description. That should be enough.

In the case of the Festivals category, there is no variable field for date, but the category is for annual festivals. The same principle applies in giving the general date of the festival. Very few events take place on exactly the same date every year.

Edited by silverquill