Looking for help from cachers in Hershey PA

catlady8

Please forgive me if this is not the best use of the forums. We love geocaching. It's been a wonderful family experience through the years as the kids have grown. The caching logs provide a framework for remebering those times and reliving the events with our now older children. Therefore, I am a bit OCD about the logs. I realized recently that there is a geocache missing from our records. We were out biking in Hershey, PA on July 4th weekend in 2010. At that time, I had an iPhone with the Geocaching app. I liked the app at the time but am now realizing, years too late, that caches I "logged" through the app are not appearing on the site :( In an attempt to complete our experiences, I went looking for the cache's profile. I have always been able to find caches, even if they are archived or otherwise no longer active/valid but this one I can not locate. I am wondering if it has been moved instead but I therefore have no way I can think of to identify it now. The iPhone has been since traded in, I can't rememner the name of the cache. All I know is where it used to be. That day, we parked our car in Shank Park in Hershey and rode the bikes down a path, towards 322, that paralleled Bullfrog Valley Rd. The cache was a large ammo box about 15 feet off the path. Somewhere between Wood Rd and Shank Park on the map. There are no caches presently listed that I can find along this route. I know it's a long shot. I don't know what to do next and thought maybe someone from the Hershey area might have visited the cache which I am refering to and can give me a name or something to look it up by. Thank you so much in advance and for tolerating my question :)

I have to apologize in advance and say this note from me will not in any way help you with your quest. But this item brought up quite a coincidence and I love coincidences, so I thought I would mention it.

You mentioned Shank Park in hershey and because we were in Hershey in 2011 doing some hiking and caching, I thought I would check the location on the geocaching map. The map shows a trad cache in the park and shows the fake coords for a puzzle cache called THE OTHER GUY'S DNF by ODIE442.

http://coord.info/GC2QD06

MA solved the dastardly puzzle before our trip but we didnt have time to go and get it. However, we were so impressed by the puzzle that we received permission from ODIE442 to have local cachers here in New brunswick solve his puzzle in order to get the coords for one of our caches which we placed in June 2011.

http://coord.info/GC2YRE0

As I said, it doesn't help your quest but I just loved the coincidence

Edited by Ma & Pa

Please forgive me if this is not the best use of the forums. We love geocaching. It's been a wonderful family experience through the years as the kids have grown. The caching logs provide a framework for remebering those times and reliving the events with our now older children. Therefore, I am a bit OCD about the logs. I realized recently that there is a geocache missing from our records. We were out biking in Hershey, PA on July 4th weekend in 2010. At that time, I had an iPhone with the Geocaching app. I liked the app at the time but am now realizing, years too late, that caches I "logged" through the app are not appearing on the site :( In an attempt to complete our experiences, I went looking for the cache's profile. I have always been able to find caches, even if they are archived or otherwise no longer active/valid but this one I can not locate. I am wondering if it has been moved instead but I therefore have no way I can think of to identify it now. The iPhone has been since traded in, I can't rememner the name of the cache. All I know is where it used to be. That day, we parked our car in Shank Park in Hershey and rode the bikes down a path, towards 322, that paralleled Bullfrog Valley Rd. The cache was a large ammo box about 15 feet off the path. Somewhere between Wood Rd and Shank Park on the map. There are no caches presently listed that I can find along this route. I know it's a long shot. I don't know what to do next and thought maybe someone from the Hershey area might have visited the cache which I am refering to and can give me a name or something to look it up by. Thank you so much in advance and for tolerating my question :)

On a somewhat related note, can anyone tell me why this cache did not show up on a search? I tried various searches, including a pocket querry but no evidence of it. Previously (in years past), I remember running searches and if "all caches" was checked, you would indeed see ALL; disabled, archived and otherwise. Yet, this cache did not show up at all. I ask because I have 2 or 3 more caches I am trying to locate from the past (not in hershey though) and am encoutering the same issue. If I could conduct a search which truly includes ALL caches, I would not have to make such inquires. THANK YOU again though for your assiatnce with THIS cache and any additional assistance :)

OK, seems I answered my own question but in the process have become significantly disappointed with Groundspeak. I KNEW that archieved caches previously were listed in searches. When that didn't occur, I paidfor a premium membership as I believe I was a premium member in the past when these searches yielded archieved caches. Now, I have found multiple threads regarding Groundspeaks elimination of this ability, right after they got my $30. Wow, this makes NO sense to me. I suppose now I will have to go through the immense trouble of trying to track down these caches through the forums and logs of others rather than simply performing a search through the website I just gave $30 to...and for what!!!!