Does Garmin eTrex 30 work with GNU/Linux OS?

Hipsi

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to buy Garmin eTrex 30 GPS receiver.

I've read that in mass storage mode this device should be recognized as (writable) removable device also in GNU/Linux operating system. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,

Hipsi

Edited by Hipsi

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to buy Garmin eTrex 30 GPS receiver.

I've read that in mass storage mode this device should be recognized as (writable) removable device also in GNU/Linux operating system. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,

Hipsi

It is true.

However, some of the extra Garmin software only runs on Windows or OSX. It isn't required for normal operation of the unit, but is required for the BirdsEye mapping product.

I've had no problems with mass storage mode of my earlier 60Cx and 60CSx models with different generations of the Ubuntu family.

But MapSource and GSAK force me to keep a Windows virtual machine handy (I use VMware) for just those two apps. When I bought the computer it came with Windows XP, and I made sure to order a reinstallation CD. I immediately repaved the machine with Linux, then reinstalled XP into a VM where it's been crammed ever since. It works.

When I tried WINE a long time ago it was far from usable, and I've never had the nerve to try again. Virtualization is an order of magnitude better.