Mystery/Bonus in a Wherigo ?

jonny65

If I make a mystery inside a Wherigo cartridge, what kind of cache is this one ? I have read whenever a Wherigo device is needed, the cache type is to declare as Wherigo ? Also, if only the coordinates for a bonus are inside the cartridge ?

For the bonus the player must solve the Wherigo but the bonus (or mystery) itself isn't really a Wherigo. :unsure:

Let me provide another view of this:

One of the oldest caches in the state commonwealth of Virginia is the Elvis Confluence. You have to make a good hike out to get to it. In 2008, someone hid another cache in the area and placed the coordinates within the old cache's container. That new cache was listed as a mystery cache.

Here's another example, but hypothetical. Let's say someone places a series of ten caches. Clues to the location of an eleventh cache are hidden in each of the ten. The eleventh cache becomes a mystery cache due to this. Supposing one of those caches was a Wherigo cache, I would not agree that the eleventh cache's type must also be a Wherigo cache.

Thus:

If the bonus cache's coordinates are found only inside the physical cache and not the cartridge, I'd just list it as a mystery cache. This way people won't be looking for a cartridge to download. I would, however, add a link to the other cache's cartridge via the "Related Website" link. If, however, the cartridge was the only thing that provided the geocacher with the bonus's coordinates, I'd have to say the bonus should be listed as a Wherigo cache.

The bottom line:

Ask your local reviewer. For things that are rarely passed through the reviewers, it could come to a judgement call. You might want to explain your choice in a reviewer note if you think it will help.

Thanks ranger

If bonus coordinates are inside a stage or inside the final of a multi cache, this always is known as "mystery/bonus".

I also can say, that the bonus is a multi cache too, because I must execute the whole or parts of these multi, to solve the bonus.

The thing is, that the location would be in the cartridge (inside a zone) BUT of course this is NOT the location of the Wherigo final. I think a reviewer complies strictly with the rules " ... if a cartridge is needed, the cachetyp is Wherigo"...nothing else, no discussion.

Ok, the player needs the cartridge, thats right, in both cases ... either the cartridge contains the coords or the coords are inside a physical stage of a Wherigo. In my opinion, this would be rather silly to make 2 wherigos.

I will ask for that...but I think it comes back " ... if a cartdrige is needed ..." :blink:

Perhaps your idea to place the coords in a physical stage of the Wherigo is better. A cacher could find accidently a box with the coords in it WITHOUT having a cartridge. So this is a mystery...thats it <_<

My opinion, is make a Wherigo cartrige AND a muli/mystery cache and at some point have them intersect with the "bonus" showing up. In this way, you get your bonus in the Wherigo and you have a 2nd cache that does not need the cartrige to find thus eliminating the debate on what the "bonus" cache would be during the Wherigo play. All you would have to do from there is decide what the "bonus" cache type would be, mystery or multi, or heck, could even be a regular cache as well. But deff agree that what ever it is cross link in the cache listing to the other type if they are to be related.

All you would have to do from there is decide what the "bonus" cache type would be ... could even be a regular cache as well.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one point. As a geocacher, I would like to see a cache listed as a traditional if the posted coordinates are not the cache's actual coordinates. When visiting another area, I load up a bunch of traditional caches and only look at the description if needed. I am, of course, surprised when I come across the occasional offset cache, but it's rare. If there isn't anything listed as the posted coordinates, I'd prefer to see it as a mystery cache; if something is there, I could understand a multi.

While this is my view on the matter, I fully acknowledge established norms and conventions in the local area also should and do play a major part in the decision. I've at least learned that much from my frequent travels! (Speaking of traveling, I'm looking to find people who want to cache in Idaho for a week in November for 3K caches.)

Ok, guys, here comes the solution fresh from my personal reviewer <_<

A bonus or a mystery in a Wherigo cache (final or in a real stage) is always declared as a mystery.

There are 2 things which fit but at the same time they don't fit ...

1. The player NEEDS a cartridge. These point would be a Wherigo.

2. To get the bonus the player must solve the whole or a part of ANOTHER cache (independent of the cache type, INCLUDING Wherigo). These point would be a mystery.

... but number 2 outclasses number 1, so the type is a mystery.