How much birdseye imagery can I put on an oregon?

Aurock

If I were to subscribe to garmin's birdseye satellite imagery, how large of an area can I download to the oregon? The demos I've seen looked like they chose a fairly small area, so I wonder if it can handle bigger, or if it's expected that you download the small area you want, then when you want to move beyond that area you erase that part and start over.

When you select an area to download, BaseCamp limits you to a download file size of about 230MB, which is about 10 miles by 10 miles...depending on the location. That 10x10 mile square will then convert to anywhere between 35-100MB .JNX files that gets loaded to the GPS or stored in BaseCamp. For instance, I have my home area imagery loaded on my 62s, approx. 43 miles x 35 miles, comprised of 14 .JNX files totaling 1.03 GB.

FWIW, I do believe Garmin intended for people to just download small areas for day trips and whenever they may be needed. I don't think Garmin prepared for people downloading large areas, like States which results in a very large commitment of disk storage space (computer and GPS).

Hope this helps!

USGS has recently stated that the DRGs (images of the topo printed topomaps) total about 238Gb and the DOQs (air-photo imagery) is nearly 17Tb (17,000Gb). How much you can get on the GPSr depends on the size of the micro memory card. How much area you have available depends on how much time you care to use downloading the imagery and how much computer storage space you have (or care to use).

Use JbnW's info of 35-100Mb per 10x10 mile area. I would expect the more data on the GPSr, the slower it will perform.

Use JbnW's info of 35-100Mb per 10x10 mile area. I would expect the more data on the GPSr, the slower it will perform.

Oh, no doubt about that! Just the 1 GB slows it down! When I first started with BirdsEye, I tried to max out the SD card so I didn't have to keep reloading files from here or there. Darn near froze the 62s completely. Just the 45x35 mile area I have is tolerable, and wouldn't do much more than that unless for a special trip or something.