Special tool attribute

cthulhujr

Hi everybody,

I'm working on a mystery cache where some of the information needed is encoded in the RGB values of certain parts of pictures that will be in the cache description. Obviously, the cacher will need to use some sort of computer graphics program (MS Paint, Adobe, etc etc) to find these values since you can't "see" what the RGB values are by just looking at them. Should I use the "Special Tool Required" attribute on this or not?

Keep caching!

Edited by cthulhujr

That's not only pretty specialized software that someone would need (not IE or their browser) but also specific knowledge. Not everyone understands RGB values. It'd be similar to hiding clues in the metadata of a referenced website. Unless someone knows to view the HTML code of that page, they would have no idea how to solve it.

In my opinion, "special tool required" speaks to equipment to actually retrieve the cache. Tweezers, tools, ladders, etc. For something like yours, I would either provide a pretty detailed hint or prepare for a lot of emails. I know a lot of people purposely skip over mysteries like this just because it's outside of their grasp.

Good luck either way. For a tech geek like me it sounds intriguing.

We have solved a couple of caches like that. Don't think the "Special Tool" attribute really applies. I think that's more for something you need to bring to retrieve the cache itself.

And, for the record, we solved those puzzles with stuff that was already on our computer and we aren't really that techy. It can be done!

I think all the previous posts covered my thoughts about what the attribute should be used for.

My only suggestion would be to make some sort of clear indication of what needs to be done.

I've seen a few mystery cache where the CO put a lot of time, effort and thought into it, but did not give a clear hint or indication as to what was needed to be done on the cache page, image or external link.

Some people might get the CO's idea right away, and others will lose interest and move on to another cache.

From Attributes

Attributes

Attributes communicate what to expect at a cache location...

so as you're not decoding the RGB values at the cache location then you don't need the special tool attribute.

The purpose of the attributes is to give a cacher an idea that they may need to go prepared, rather than trek for miles (potentially) and then discover they need to bring something with them.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I think all the previous posts covered my thoughts about what the attribute should be used for.

My only suggestion would be to make some sort of clear indication of what needs to be done.

I've seen a few mystery cache where the CO put a lot of time, effort and thought into it, but did not give a clear hint or indication as to what was needed to be done on the cache page, image or external link.

Some people might get the CO's idea right away, and others will lose interest and move on to another cache.

But too much of a "clear indication" sort of defeats the puzzle, then, no?

I will add subtle clues throughout a listing for a puzzle that's not the usual type of puzzle. This would include the cache name, or usual phrases or bolded text in the description. These clues would point the solver in the direction they need to go.

I'm going to be the guy that disagrees. A "special tool" is obviously required, since you can't solve this puzzle without it.

The central question is precisely whether the special tool attribute should apply to puzzles. I'd be more open to debating it in another context, but in this case, a utility that looks at a standard picture and allows you to look at the RGB values is pretty standard, so I don't really think this rises to the level of "special tool". It requires special knowledge about using your standard tools, but that's something else.

Show me a puzzle that requires a C compiler, for example, and I might have more sympathy for the idea. But I have to say that in my area, lots of puzzles require special software tools -- some require special software tools that don't exist, so you have to develop them yourself -- and none of them use the special tool attribute. When I see that attribute, I assume it has something to do with the retrieval no matter what it took to solve the puzzle.

We have solved a couple of caches like that. Don't think the "Special Tool" attribute really applies. I think that's more for something you need to bring to retrieve the cache itself.

And, for the record, we solved those puzzles with stuff that was already on our computer and we aren't really that techy. It can be done!

I solved one using RGB values and it didn't take time at all but then I did have Photoshop.

I solved one using RGB values and it didn't take time at all but then I did have Photoshop.

You can do that in MSPaint, too :)

The big restriction on such RGB etc. puzzles is that one cannot require a specific software. Doing it with freedom of choice as to which software to use by the seeker is fine. As stated MSPaint (all windows systems), IrfanView, and a whole bunch of other excellent programs, as well as all or most of the big names in graphics will do such things and more.

As long as the difficulty level is appropriate, I'd say go for it. I've solved several of these type and related graphic puzzles on here. Same for other media puzzles. Images contain all sorts of information to work with.

Finding the puzzle in the first place is the puzzle, solving it is the problem, finding the cache the reward.

Doug 7rxc